Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Worth upgrading from pro 2?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
ad4m__w
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi all, new to the community but had arlo pro about 2 years now. Only downside is sometimes it drops offline but looking at adding a new camera to house but upgrading the lot to the ultra, is there mich difference vs pro 2? As in picture quality Iv looked at reviews on Amazon ect and see a lot of negativity towards the ultra for its quality. Also if upgrading are there outdoor power cables available? Thanks to anyone who replies as been looking for a while now at upgrading but reviews are hit and miss on ultra
6 REPLIES 6
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@ad4m__w wrote:
Hi all, new to the community but had arlo pro about 2 years now. Only downside is sometimes it drops offline but looking at adding a new camera to house but upgrading the lot to the ultra, is there mich difference vs pro 2?

There is a big difference between the Ultra and the Pro 2. The best way to check is to read the different specifications for their picture quality.

Among many differences, Ultra also has an LED on board to provide light.

Many of the differences are "in the cloud".

For example, there is no free seven-day storage with the Ultra. Unlike the Pro 2, after the first year, nothing comes free: it is a paid for service.

This is where Arlo makes its claims:

Arlo Ultra | Arlo

@ad4m__w wrote:
Also if upgrading are there outdoor power cables available?

It depends on where you are. (The list of accessories is in the usual places.) Some of us are still waiting for cables to reach  Europe. Maybe any day now.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
ad4m__w
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for reply, do you think I would see much difference upgrading from pro 2 then? Seems people having a lot of problems with ultra system but i do like the look of colour night vision but in obviously want the system to work where people are obviously frustrated purchasing the new ultra system for it not to work properly
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Only you know if you would see any differences in areas that matter to you.

Remember, you can run Ultra and Pro side by side.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
brh
Master
Master

@ad4m__w,

Note that the free Basic or No Plan does not allow you to store videos in the cloud even if they are recorded in 1080P there are many features you are accustomed to having with the Pro2 that you will not have unless you purchase a subscription

. That being said, if you are willing to pay for a Premier or Elite subscription along with an extra fee for PVR if you want to view 4k videos, the Ultra is far superior to the Pro2 in many ways.

1) As mentioned previously, the Ultra comes with a built-in light for night color recordings.
2) Much higher capacity battery which should last longer between charges than the Pro2.
3) Ultra has the Zoom and Track feature, (1080p only - will not work in4k).
4) HDR for improved contrast.
5) Camera is built into a shell with a button release for removal which means that you do not need to reposition the camera every time you change batteries.
6) Magnetic power connections. Don't have to mess with micro USB connectors any more.
7) Utilizes automatic switching between 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands.
😎 New sensors, siren, etc. coming out later this year will only work with the Ultra Smart Hub.
9) The Ultra Smart Hub has built in Zigbee and Z-wave radios for the upcoming devices mentioned above.
10) Ulrta Smart Hub can use up to a 256Gb SD card.
11) Camera has a built-in siren, the Smart Hub, (unlike the Pro bases,) does not have a built-in siren.
12) Camera has two noise canceling microphones to reduce wind noise and give cleaner audio.
13) Your older cameras will work with the Ultra Smart Hub, but not the other way around.
14) Camera has 180 degrees FOV with very little pin cushioning and can be adjusted to 2 smaller views if the 180 degrees is too much.
15) The magnets are now in the mounts and not in the camera.
16) 25 foot outdoor power cable is available in the US.
17) Solar panel has the cable built into it for better moisture/water sealing with the magnetic snap on connector at the camera end.

I'm sure I have missed some features, but I now have 6 Ultras and really like them.

Brian

ad4m__w
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have gone and upgraded but what’s with the 1 year subscription? I did have cvr on my pro 2 do I get that included in this subscription for the ultras? I heard there’s a fee for recording in 4K but apart from that is the 1 year subscription include everything?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ad4m__w,

With your Arlo Ultra kit, you will receive a 1 year subscription to Arlo Smart Premier. This does not include PVR (4K) or CVR (continuous video recording)

For more information on PVR and CVR subscriptions, take a look here:

What Arlo subscription do I need to record videos with 4K resolution?

What is continuous video recording (CVR) and how do I get it?

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation