Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Sentry_Turret
Star
Star

I hear that Arlo is removing the 7 days of free cloud storage.   If I get an Arlo Ultra will I be able to view locally saved video remotely on my phone without the paid cloud service?

14 REPLIES 14
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Where did you hear that? I've heard no such thing

addertay
Apprentice
Apprentice

I believe it has to be ejected and viewed from a computer like the Arlo Pro base stations. 

https://kb.arlo.com/000062129/How-does-my-Arlo-Ultra-camera-use-4K

Recording to a Micro SD Card

You can record 4K videos from Arlo Ultra to a microSD card by inserting a microSD card into your Arlo SmartHub. To view microSD card recordings, remove the microSD card from your Arlo SmartHub and watch them on a device with a microSD card reader.

Sentry_Turret
Star
Star
From the fine print of the Ultra camera...
“Subscription to Arlo Smart service required to access cloud recordings on Arlo Ultra camera systems”
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Hmmm... let me do some digging

steve_t
Master Master
Master

So it looks like all the existing cameras will continue to have the 7 days of free cloud storage but this doesn't appear to apply to the Arlo Ultra cameras 😮 
You appear to need at least Arlo Smart Premier but then there is an additional fee if you want 4K cloud recordings - Premium Video Recording.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062164/What-are-the-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-is-a...

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

One seemingly important market advantage eliminated.  I suppose, if they keep the free 7 day plan on the other models, it will be fine.  But if all newly sold cameras move to that model, folks will shop around for a system with a free plan of some sort.

Alô
Guide
Guide

I gotta agree on this point. The most important reason people went with Arlo instead of Ring/Kuna/Nest or other brands is that they rather pay higher upfront and not having to deal with monthly fee per device further down the road. With Arlo's decision to start implementing required subscription service, consumers'  preference of choice will definitely shift.  But it is understandable with this change by Arlo - company spin-off from Netgear, has its own CEO/management/executives with bonuses to pay out, etc.

SubCmdr
Guide
Guide

Now that a paid sub is required for Arlo Ultra I will be definitely looking towards Nest when they inevitable come out with their Ultra counter part. Not to mention I am now not going to immediately upgrade to Ultra but wait and see what Nest or other companies come out with. It may be time for a change.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I guess if you really really want to stay with a free plan, Arlo Pro 2 is as "high" as you go, which really isn't that bad, especially if the Pro 2 cameras come down in price with the release of the Ultra cams

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

Last I knew, Nest required a service plan.  I pay $100 a year for my 1st camera and $50 a year for every subsequent camera on my Nest systems. 

Nest is a good powered camera with CVR.  Geofencing seems to work well, but I can’t couple it with a schedule like I can with Arlo.  I get one or the other.  No snapshots other than screenshots.  Must go to the web interface to get recorded clips.  Fun scroll through time to see what happens each day and nice time lapse video clips.

Pros and cons.  But what is google doing with my data?  I have no idea what they are collecting and how they maybe profiting off of it.  Maybe they don’t...maybe they do.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

It appears a one year subscription is included in the Ultra kits.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/Documents/ArloUltra/Arlo_Ultra_Family_DS_16Nov18.pdf

I have not not been able to discover if the Ultra can record at lower resolutions without a subscription.

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

The below link implies there is no free 7-day cloud recording for Ultra, like there is with previous cameras.

To record Ultra to the cloud you will need an Arlo Smart subscription. (Kits are supposed to include 1 year for free.)

Cloud recording will be 1080p unless you pay an extra $1.99/month for "Premium Video Recording" to get 4K.

I think it would be a mistake to do away with the 7-day free recording with Ultra, as that's the baseline for the other cameras and the primary discriminator against competing products. They should at least give you 1080p for free.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062164/What-are-the-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-is-a...

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

So no free seven days (any video quality level) with ultra, other than the one year included with kit (and price)? What do you do at end of first year, have to pay to use camera?

Wow that’s a pretty gutsy move for Arlo, let’s just see how it works out.

Dymo33
Star
Star

It won't work out. This is going to be the cause of their demise, you watch. Taking away the one thing that made you unique, cost effective, and successful over your competition is a move that only Sears could admire.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation