Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
CopperStateCarl
Follower
Follower

I ordered the Ultra system but I haven't opened it yet because I heard the Direct Storage Access is difficult to use compared to the Eufycam 2.  Does anyone know if Arlo's DSA will be upgraded to work on the app with ease, away from your LAN without buying a VPN or getting complicated with the cable or router companies?  I want to like Arlo...Asking for a friend. 

16 REPLIES 16
MORGiON666
Star
Star

Looks like it just became available

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

CopperStateCarl,

Direct Storage Access is now available and can be set up using port forwarding or VPN. For more information on this, take a look here: What is Direct Storage Access and how do I use it?

JamesC

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi @CopperStateCarl 

@JamesC 

I believe what Carl is asking is will Arlo be updating the app so customers don’t have to buy a VPN or set up port forwarding on their router which some consider a security risk.

In reading  reviews online recently about the new direct storage option released by Arlo recently is that it’s a fail.  After making customers wait 10 months for the feature it still seems rushed because most other camera manufacturers such as Eufy, don’t require their customers to subscriber setup a VPN or enable complicated port forwarding on their routers.  The apps just work allowing the customers to access this local storage while being away from home.

i have to part way agree, expecting customers to setup VPN’s or port forwarding is asking a lot especially after the hefty price tag of the equipment.

Carl, the Arlo equipment is great when it works but they frequently perform updates that break features, are slow to fix them, very slow at customer service as well.  It be a tough decision for me if I had to do it again but I’d say in your shoes to return it before you open it.

these are forum members (to name just a few could weigh in as well as to whether keep or return them).

@LandJS 

@Mjbeuke 

@Whops 

MORGiON666
Star
Star

So you want uPnP? Which is still port forwarding

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I want something that requires no additional configurations by the customer.
MORGiON666
Star
Star

uPnP would do the trick, but keep in mind all the IoT devices that have been exposed online over the years. Software is still subject to human error etc... Does your average consumer really want the risk of there personal footage possibly being exposed online due to a software bug or their own poor security practices?

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Well I’m not sure port forwarding or using VPN’s can be considered much safer (insert sarcasm)......
MORGiON666
Star
Star

Port forwarding no, but if it’s not automatically setup the responsibility rests firmly with the end user.

VPN is defiantly a much better approach. Works great too the first thing I tested when away from home today

n1976jmk
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Hi, I believe we will agree to disagree.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@n1976jmk wrote:
Hi, I believe we will agree to disagree.

uPNP is inherently not secure, since anything that gets onto the home network can use it to open ports for inbound connections w/o the user's knowledge.

A VPN is certainly more secure than simple port forwarding for general use, since it is encrypted and authenticated.   The forwarded TCP traffic between the app and the base likely is secured too, but AFAIK Arlo hasn't explicitly said that, and they are putting people on notice that there is risk when you configure port forwarding.  

Both VPN and port forwarding require end user setup, which isn't ideal. 

Arlo could route the video through their cloud when folks are away from their home network, using the existing connection between the base and the cloud.  That would be my preferred solution (though it would require Arlo to pay some bandwidth costs, those would be less than cloud storage).

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't have any information on further enhancements for the Direct Storage Access feature but I will pass the details and requests in this thread along to the development team for consideration.

JamesC

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Sure VPN is nice, but only if your provider allows it, read the instructions on your router and it requires info that involves their equip. info you don't have ready access to.  Also some will charge for it, another expense just as Arlo increases the cost of cloud service just as the free year is ending.  Other systems allow access and have for a number of years to DVRs and NVRs.  Is it safe or not and how safe or not.  The thing is that it should be the customers decision not Arlos.  It doesn't cost Arlo anything to make it available ( other than fewer may pay for their cloud service ) and let the customer decide if they wish to allow access or not.  Every person out there with a router makes security choices whether they own an Arlo or not, the point is the choices should be theirs to make.

Whops
Apprentice
Apprentice

@n1976jmk 

Very well said,  I would agree  @CopperStateCarl  Return the cameras don't even bother with opening the box.   You will be very disappointed in the support from Arlo,  I have had my cameras since Sept. 2019.  I have been very unsatisfied mostly due the fact they are always updating firmware, and apps with out proper testing and then taking down everyone's systems while not communicating with users, and taking a very long time to make fixes.   They do not respond to emails. 

I am getting ready to post my second compliant on BBB  due to lack of response. 

I have sent private messages to @JamesC  & @Mark-V  But they never respond back.  I have contacted Jesse Level 2 tech person that was helping me,  but he has also just ignored my emails.  The same goes for Customer Care Advocate Joseph Fuellas,  who contacted me after I posted on BBB.  Then he handed me off to Jesse.   And they forget you are having problems.   I really do not see how they will be able to stay in business long term it appears to me they are more interested in developing new products rather then fixing what they have already sold.   A reputable company would want satisfied customers, their business plan appears to be forgetting their current customers,  lets find some new suckers.   And we are stuck with spending Thousands of dollars and have inferior systems.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

Sure VPN is nice, but only if your provider allows it, read the instructions on your router and it requires info that involves their equip. info you don't have ready access to.  Also some will charge for it, another expense just as Arlo increases the cost of cloud service just as the free year is ending. 

I don't know of any ISP that charges for turning on openVPN in the router - can you name one?

It is true that openVPN and similar packages aren't available in all routers.  Every router I've ever owned supports port forwarding.

One aspect here is that if an ISP uses carrier NAT, then inbound VPN and port forwarding won't work reliably.  There are some ISPs deploying carrier NAT, in order to overcome the depletion of ipv4 IP addresses.

@LandJS wrote:

It doesn't cost Arlo anything to make it available ( other than fewer may pay for their cloud service ) and let the customer decide if they wish to allow access or not.  

Not sure what solution you are thinking about.  If you are talking about Arlo routing the video stream from the local storage in the hub through their cloud to the app, then it actually does cost them something.  Clouds (including the AWS cloud used by Arlo) charge for bandwidth in and out.

That said, I agree that would be a better solution for many people (and said so earlier in the thread).

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I have an AC3100  quite capable of it but the instructions say access to the needed inf is in the isp equipment that at the very least would require a service call.  Consolidated Communication in a rural area isn't known for any bells and whistles or any other than basic without charge.  Add to that others had mentioned a charge but I can't say who their isp would be.

As for what I might be talking about, Arlo's own statement that James points us to says that access is limited to VPN and port fwd for safe access.  Storage for other types of devices are accessible, DVR and NVR so why not Arlo, unless those products are making claims that don't work to.   They point out their app allows access from anywhere as a feature.  One Amazon was advertising yesterday goes farther than smart in that it even offers facial recognition.  

I was simply saying I believe that if others can do it, why not Arlo.

Rickp703
Tutor
Tutor

Hey @Whops  - It's Rickp703... Been out of town for the last week.  Thanks for fighting the good fight with these (&@(*$&** Cameras!  Just so that you know, Arlo sent me (4) new Ultras and a new smart hub.  Garbage in is Garbage out, but hopefully things will get back to working again soon!

If you need the email to that Mark V - DM on this & I'll send it your way.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation