Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

My Arlos have always missed some motion, but the Ultras are even worse than my Pro2 cameras were. I had an incident that I really needed to be recorded yesterday so that I could submit it to the police, and my Ultra camera didn't catch it. Ten feet in front of the camera- both a person and a car. And I frequently see cars or people go past the camera that it misses. I will walk by the camera to go check my mail, and nothing. But then I will walk by it on my way back in, and it catches me. I often see a car leaving twice in a row without ever apparently having come back in.

Yesterday, just to do a comparison, I mounted one of my Pro2 cameras directly under one of my Ultra cameras. Today, my Pro2 has captured 40 motion-triggered videos, and the Ultra has only captured 23! I walked up to the camera tonight and literally waved my hands around, and then touched the lens to wipe off spider webs, and the (Ultra) camera didn't see me. wth?!!!!!!

Both cameras right next to each other- the Pro2 has 2 bars of signal strength, and the Ultra only has 1. (It used to have 2 as well, but after a firmware update, it went down to 1, and my base station is often flashing yellow because it's having trouble connecting to my cameras.)

Also, the picture is really different between the two cameras. The Ultra appears further away from the same object than the Pro2 and actually acts like it's farther away from the object because the Pro2 will capture motion a lot farther into the road than the Ultra. I've tried messing with the viewing angle, and this seems to make no difference.

Any advice on how to make these cameras actually work????

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kammfam wrote:

Also, the picture is really different between the two cameras. The Ultra appears further away from the same object than the Pro2

That would have to be the field of view.  The Pro2 is 130 degrees.  There's no setting on the Ultra that exactly matches that.  "Wide" is 155 degrees (making the object seem a bit smaller than a co-located Pro-2).  "Full" is 120 degrees (making the object seem a bit larger than a co-located Pro-2).

@Kammfam wrote:

Yesterday, just to do a comparison, I mounted one of my Pro2 cameras directly under one of my Ultra cameras. Today, my Pro2 has captured 40 motion-triggered videos, and the Ultra has only captured 23! 

Are you using activity zones on either camera?  Also, did you try calibrating them using the motion detection test?  You might need to adjust the sensitivity up a bit on the Ultra to match the Pro2.

FWIW, I do have a couple of co-located cameras for testing purposes - and I do see differences between the Pro2 and Ultra (and also the Pro3 and Ultra) as far as motion detection goes.  I'm not sure which is actually better - both will sometimes miss something that the other camera catches.

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

Nope, no activity zones.

I have changed the field of view, but even with the Ultra on "full," the objects still look further away in the picture than on the Pro2.

The Ultra sensitivity is set as high as it will go.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kammfam wrote:

I have changed the field of view, but even with the Ultra on "full," the objects still look further away in the picture than on the Pro2.

Maybe post screen shots.

@Kammfam wrote:

The Ultra sensitivity is set as high as it will go.

Meaning its set to 100 in the rules? (lots of people mistakenly set it only in the motion detection test).

What is the pro-2 set to?

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

For some reason, I missed the last comment.

My Ultra is set to 100%, and my Pro2 is set to 80%. Overnight last night, my Ultra captured 2 videos, and my Pro2 captured 6. This is ridiculous. Most of the missed videos were small animals, but if anything, the Ultra should catch those better because it's closer to the ground!

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation