Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What is the expected maximum distance between the Arlo Ultra base station to a camera?

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
epine
Aspirant
Aspirant

What is the expected maximum distance between the Arlo Ultra base station to a camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

For those who believe in what manuals say:

Maximum recommended distance. Place your camera a maximum of 300 feet
(90 meters) from the SmartHub. The maximum line-of-sight range of 300 feet is
reduced by each wall, ceiling, or other major obstruction between the camera and
SmartHub.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

For those who believe in what manuals say:

Maximum recommended distance. Place your camera a maximum of 300 feet
(90 meters) from the SmartHub. The maximum line-of-sight range of 300 feet is
reduced by each wall, ceiling, or other major obstruction between the camera and
SmartHub.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@epine wrote:

In real world, it all depends on what the signal goes thru...

IMO, 2 bars indicted on signal is the lowest I'd go... ( one will work but may accelerate battery usage )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
epine
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you!

Asterix187
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have one camera no more than 30ft away from the base (although it does have two walls in the way but doors and windows in them) and the dignal bar just shows a red dot. It occasionally connects but the battery goes from 100% to 10% in about 2 days as I assume its always trying to connect. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Asterix187,

If you're only showing a red dot, this means the signal strength is too weak, resulting in the battery drain as you suspect. Are you able to relocate the SmartHub to reduce the distance and obstacles between it and the camera?

JamesC

Asterix187
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is what I am looking at doing but it is only around 8-10 metres away from the base. No way near the 300 feet (albeit line of sight). I was expecting to at least be able to fix them on the side of the house and have the router in the middle and it work. Its not exactly a big house.

I will continue to move things about.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

House consruction and things on/in thee walls can make a huge difference. What's the construction?

Asterix187
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, in the UK so brick. Appreciate it could be tough so will need to move things about. I might have to get a wireless repeater to move it though.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@Asterix187 wrote:

This is what I am looking at doing but it is only around 8-10 metres away from the base.

There's something wrong there.

My cameras are as much as 50 metres from the hub, with three thicknesses of brick in the way.

Another camera is about 20 metres away with three walls, a mix of brick and breeze block, between camera and hub.

No connection issues at all. Both shows two "bars".

If you need to move the hub nearer to the cameras, I have used Powerline Ethernet to create a wired LAN link between router and hub. That also works fine.

Just another user
Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation