Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 In Conversation
rctoyguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just installing my 4 camera Ultra kit - I did put an SD card in the base unit. Does that mean that it will not record to 'the cloud' as well?

What does using the microSD card give me that I wouldn't have if I didn't use one? (I took this one from a gopro - need to decide if it's worth buying one just for the arlo system)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Direct Storage Access is now available for iOS on the 2.12.1 version of the Arlo Mobile App. Please make sure you have the latest version of the Arlo Mobile app from the app store and take a look here for more information:  Arlo iOS App - 2.12.1 - 30th December 2019 Arlo iOS App - 2.12.1 - 30th December 2019

JamesC

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The mem card will record the same motion triggered recordings that go to the cloud.

The difference is that they are stored as long as you have space and don’t get deleted at the end time of your cloud storage.

Right now they are a true backup, but it has been mentioned that in near future we will be able to access the vids thru the app/web.(right now you must eject the card and install into reader to see vids ) 

I use a 128 Gb card and have recordings going back since started

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @rctoyguy  - your storage options are:

1) Record to cloud only with Arlo Smart (don't install the microSD card)

2) Record to cloud (with Arlo Smart) and locally (with microSD card) <-- this is personally my preferred method, because then I have a backup!

3) Record to microSD card only (for cameras without Arlo Smart)

And yes, @TomMac  is correct! As long as you have version 2.12 of the iOS app (and an upcoming update to 2.12 on Android), you'll be able to use our new Direct Storage Access feature when we roll it out.

We're still wrapping up the feature, but keep an eye on these forums to be alerted when it goes live!

punchbuggy
Guide
Guide

Sounds like a potential Christmas present to the Arlo brethren, Alex? That'd be cool if so, and just in time for the holidays.
Regardless, thanks for the advice and update. This product has come a long way since the beta testing which started just over a year ago now for Ultra.

53Crusher
Apprentice
Apprentice

I record to the cloud, and locally. Would add that the only 4K recordings are local, the cloud is NOT. Took me a long time to figure this out. If you want 4k video, your ONLY choice is what you record locally.

rctoyguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

If it's recorded locally, is it still accessible in the app, as if it were cloud recorded?

rctoyguy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh, maybe I'm reading it correctly now - without the paid account, you can't see the videos it has recorded without taking the card out of the base and looking at the files on a computer? (in other words, the phone app is useless for anything other than configuring the system?) That's ridiculous.

I'm having issues getting my free trial in place (another thread) so I can't even see what I think about these cameras, and I'm burning through my time that is ok to return the system to Best Buy.

I know this is the ultra forum, but do the pro2 and pro3 work the same way?

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

No Not today. They released an App that has this, but didnt actually turn on the feature.. go Figure..

53Crusher
Apprentice
Apprentice

All I can say is they have promised the ability to access the locally stored videos through the app in the second half of 2019. Not too many days left in the year, and the only way we can see 4K video is to eject the memory card from the SmartHub and then insert it into your computer. 

I can live with that for now, but recent firmware updates have completely toasted many peoples Arlo Ultra system ( mine included). I can no longer set activity zones and my four cameras are currently zoomed into the upper left 1/4 of the real field of view. I either get NO notice of real activity, or it triggers from a car 750 feet away. My $1500 Arlo Ultra system that I purchased a year ago is essentially worthless right now, and has been, since they automatically pushed out firmware updates on 12/2. They sent a new firmware update out this morning that didn't fix anybody's problem either. If I could go back in time, I would return my purchase and look for something else.

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice

These fixes are right around the corner - hang in there if you can!

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

How you use the SD card probably depends on each individual need.  For me the cloud is one reason I went with Arlo because people have had DVRs and NVRs taken by the thief.  However since the cloud isn't 4K unless you pay extra, the SD card is (just remember to set it for best video)  What you see on the card is far superior to the basic cloud.  Also as noted on here over the year some have found recordings on SD that didn't make it to the cloud.  For me the cloud will remain my basic service for browsing but I will have the better 4K on the card if needed or if it's something I want a better pic of.  I just want the ability to see my card when away from home and sounds like it might be here soon.

alelas
Guide
Guide
Since the release of version 2.12 I find my self opening the app several times a day to check if I can see videos on the library.
Please! Roll out the feature already. Fix issues later. It won’t be the first time you do that. Come on! Don’t be shy...
#DirectStorageAccess rocks!

ArloAlex
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @alelas - Direct Storage Access isn't live yet - but we'll provide an update on the community when it is.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Direct Storage Access is now available for iOS on the 2.12.1 version of the Arlo Mobile App. Please make sure you have the latest version of the Arlo Mobile app from the app store and take a look here for more information:  Arlo iOS App - 2.12.1 - 30th December 2019 Arlo iOS App - 2.12.1 - 30th December 2019

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 10 In Conversation