Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
spectrum1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All, I want to power the cameras by drilling holes through the side of the house to enable the 3 second look-back. The problem I can see is the hole needs to be really big to run the USB connector through the wall (about 2cm?). My friend is a cable installer and he usually drills 1cm holes as standard, which I would prefer to preserve the look of my new house.

Is there any way around drilling such a big hole? For example, could I cut the outdoor power cables and splice and rejoin the USB wires once inside the house (I appreciate this option isn't great but does it work?).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Cutting and splicing the cable is certainly possible but the thin wires could make it a bit difficult - steady hands and a delicate touch, especially for stripping the wires, would be very useful. Any way you could drill/cut a slot instead of a circular hole?

spectrum1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great thanks for the reply!  Just wanting to check if this was a possibility...

The wall is really thick (side of house), so I can only drill a round hole. I will cut and splice the cable I think. I haven't got a soldering Iron so i'll strip,  twist them back together tight and wrap them individually in insulation tape.

Would you recommend the Arlo original outdoor cables? They are pretty expensive and I only need them to be a few metres, so they will be much too long.

Thanks

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

There are probably lots of people that have used different ways.  For me, I purchased a couple outdoor water proof receptacles and a heavy duty extension cord.  Cut the end off and wired to the receptacle, that gave me two outdoor locations just plugging into the already in place patio and porch plug ins.  In another spot I added a outdoor waterproof receptacle to the outdoor light post for my garage and RV giving me two plugins there.  Just had to be sure I got ones that had a deep enough cover for the chargers to fit.  Been doing great for more than a year.  Tried using a usb plugin instead of a receptacle but the cams didn't like it.

spectrum1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks both
Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation