Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

maharrm
Tutor
Tutor

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The development team is working on the fix for the issue with the remote access. I will provide another update as soon as I have more information related to the release. 

Thank you for your patience

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

516 REPLIES 516
matead28
Aspirant
Aspirant

After the new update, I cannot view locally recorded videos anymore. It keeps saying to subscribe. How can I view my locally recorded files on my iPhone WITHOUT taking the SD Card out and putting it into my computer OR purchasing an Arlo subscription?

If someone comes around and says "it's not possible anymore" then tell me how I can downgrade back to the previous version of the Arlo iOS software so I can view my locally recorded videos again.

Thanks.

matead28
Aspirant
Aspirant

This KB article helped progress with the issue a little https://kb.arlo.com/000062997

It seems the option can only be re-enabled after updating through the app on your phone (not the web browser).

After enabling the option, the SmartHub still cannot see the local recordings however. Any ideas/suggestions?

IMG_9353.PNG

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

When you say 'update', do you mean the new user experience, i.e. with Feed, as opposed to Library?

If so, you need to go to Devices > SmartHub > Storage settings and that's where the recordings are now.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@matead28 wrote:

This KB article helped progress with the issue a little https://kb.arlo.com/000062997

It seems the option can only be re-enabled after updating through the app on your phone (not the web browser).

After enabling the option, the SmartHub still cannot see the local recordings however. Any ideas/suggestions?

IMG_9353.PNG

Did you also go into local storage settings, and confirm that it is still set up properly?

Note the above screen is also where you will find any recordings.  Make sure your iPhone is connected to your home wifi, as there is a bug with port forwarding on iPhones.  Note a home VPN will work.

matead28
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did check that it's setup correctly. Yes I'm on the same network and subnet as my Arlo SmartHub. I even rebooted the SmartHub. There might be a bug in the app.

IMG_9354.PNG

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Scooter90 wrote:

I have an R6700v3. How would I go about doing this?

Doing what?

If you are asking about openVPN, then check out this link:

Note you do need to set up DDNS, so do that before you set up openVPN.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

It looks like everything is set up correctly.

Maybe try restarting the base again, and see if that changes anything.

matead28
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'd rather not do the same thing over and over in an attempt to expect the results to change. An Arlo software developer will have to step in and address this issue because it looks like a bug in both the iOS software and web interface.

Arlo customer support isn't possible as well unless you give them more money so this bug most likely won't be fixed any time soon unless a moderator pushes it forward to their attention.

alexauch01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Anyone gived a try with OVPN ? I have it installed but I still cannot access videos on the base station

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@alexauch01 wrote:

Anyone gived a try with OVPN ? I have it installed but I still cannot access videos on the base station

It works for me when I am connected to a remote wifi network, but not when I am only connected with mobile data.  It does that generally (not just Arlo), and I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot why.

Maybe try creating a network share on a PC,

1. See if you can access that from the phone connecting with OPVN, and with WiFi off.
  2. See if you can access it with OPVN on and while connecting to a remote wifi network. 
alexauch01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you so much. Happy to see that I'm not isolated with my problem. I didn't get a chance to try OVPN with a remote wifi yet. OVPN with home wifi network works fine too.

andy445566
Tutor
Tutor

OK here's some more info for those that are interested and want to try this.

This bug with the IOS version started with V 4.14 (released around 24 May I think) and continues till the current version of V 4.17.

V 4.13 (released 17th Apr) and before DO NOT have this issue access local storage through port forwarding (I'm running IOS 17.5.1)

There are many ways to downgrade to an older version of an IOS app but all are quite involved and take a fair degree of technical knowledge. You don't need to be a programmer to do it nor do you need to jailbreak your iPhone.

I used the following method using a Mac, Parallels on Mac and Windows 11 and the latest Charlie.

https://github.com/qnblackcat/How-to-Downgrade-apps-on-AppStore-with-iTunes-and-Charles-Proxy?tab=re...

The last hint I'll give you is that the build version ID that you need is 865217567.

Please try at your own risk. As I said the process isn't hard and the link above actually documents it very well (IMHO) but you do need a good amount of tech knowledge to do it.

briancarp
Tutor
Tutor

Did they roll out a fix?  This morning I'm able to access my locally stored videos from my iPhone.  I don't see any change to the App version or the iOS version...strange.  Status still shows "Not Available" in the port forwarding, but I can access the videos.

UT22
Tutor
Tutor

Strange it works for you. Still not working for me. 

briancarp
Tutor
Tutor

Today, back to not working....

MrMolok
Star
Star

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. Remote access through port forwarding just stopped working, and now a month and a half later, still not solved 😞

Have tried everything, even had my ISP checking that my router, connection and port forwarding was working as it should.

This is 100% an Arlo problem, again they have broken their own product. No wonder this company has one of the lowest scores ever recorded on trustpilot:

https://dk.trustpilot.com/review/arlo.com

zoopy
Tutor
Tutor

Garbage company.. Arlo does not give two **bleep**s about their customers.. I did the customer support for 1hr and 30 min on the phone and they did nothing but repeat the same thing over and over.. no follow up after 1 week when they said within 24hrs. I just trashed all my Arlo Pro 4 and doorbell and moved on to Eufy. Better latency and better AI detection.

ARLO does not care about you. 

UMR
Tutor
Tutor

I will appreciate if you will assist further on this. Details of my router are as follows: 

Manufacturer : ZTE Corporation 

Type/model: MF283U

Kind regards.

UMR
Tutor
Tutor

My IPhone is connected to the same network but could not access video on the home base.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@UMR wrote:

My IPhone is connected to the same network but could not access video on the home base.

1. Are you getting an error?  Or just seeing no videos?
  2. What model smarthub do you own?  (look for a VMBxxxx label on it)
  3. Do you see "Library" in your app menu, or do you see "Feed" instead?
Pagly
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same for me, I cannot access local storage even from my network. Waiting for the update from Arlo, we cannot do anything other than wait for their update, 3 months now.

andy445566
Tutor
Tutor

@Pagly @UMR 

If this is not working for you on your local network then this is not the same problem the rest of us are seeing. This bug occurs ONLY under the following circumstances

1. IOS app - worth seeing if you can try an Android device as we all know this works. if it doesn't for you then you haven't got your port forwarding setup right

2. Only when outside the local network - inside works fine. This should actually work regardless of port forwarding so if this isn't working for you you have an issue accessing your base station or with the SD card.

lopez88
Aspirant
Aspirant

looks like arlo has disabled port forwarding so we will purchase their service fro remote acces that's sucks

Pagly
Aspirant
Aspirant

The problem is in local and out of home. With iPhone 14 pro max and Arlo app 4.17, the same with iPhone 8, iPhone X, iPhone 12 and iPad air and iPad pro. It worked only until last updates of Arlo app (it’s not related with iOS because iPhone 8 is on iOS 16.7)

briancarp
Tutor
Tutor

Is anyone else seeing that the function works maybe 10% of the time?  That’s what I’m seeing.  To me, that indicates more of a timing problem in the Arlo app code versus the function never works.