Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

maharrm
Tutor
Tutor

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The development team is working on the fix for the issue with the remote access. I will provide another update as soon as I have more information related to the release. 

Thank you for your patience

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

516 REPLIES 516
Middleweight
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the exact same issue and it happened around the time you posted your message.  

The last workaround was to use Android device for the port forwarding as iOS had issue with it all of the sudden starting from the beginning of June. 

Middleweight
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried using an Android device for port forwarding to connect to my local storage and it works, but not iOS.  Thanks for the advice.  

in terms of why I tried those steps you pointed out?   I just happened to find it while I was troubleshooting by using any possible way.  

Pagly
Aspirant
Aspirant

Not all iPhone/iPad: my account, from my iPhone is not working, but from other 3 iPhone (my old iPhone, my wife iPhone, and a friend of mine iPhone where I logged in) work. Same account, different iPhones. And even deleting and reinstalling the app doesn’t fix the problem, like Arlo blacklisted the mac addresses of some iPhones. Really strange.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@steve_straus wrote:

I understand the clips stored locally would be accessible only under SmartHub —> Storage Settings —> Local Storage Settings. 

Not quite - they should be shown in SmartHub —> Storage Settings

Halcomm
Initiate
Initiate

Update. Base Station VMB4540. Using iPhone and iPad with latest iOS. 
Up until last month I could access video away from my house. When I called Arlo I was told this is something not available anymore. Can only access locally (when at home).  Others in this chat suggested the tier 1 person from Arlo gave me wrong information and I think that’s correct. Some others have suggested it’s an iOS issue. This seems correct also. Managed to get hold of an old Android and logged into my Arlo (away from my house).  I can access the recording fine but still cannot access from iPhone. So it seems this is a iOS issue and Arlo may well have given me wrong information while at the same time trying to sell me a discounted cloud service to access my videos. Can Arlo confirm they are looking to fix this? 

grarun11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I am trying to setup arlo ultra 2 with port fwding. I tried different option to setup in Orbi RBR50.

Option 1: Lan setup -> DHCP reserved arlo  ip address and in port fwding I gave range from 18000 to 19999

(arlo port always shows between that range). No success

Option 2: Lan setup -> DHCP reserved arlo  ip address and in port fwding I gave port from Arlo (18xxx) still no success.

I directly connected fios to orbi router (no fios modem). It was working fine when I had arlo pro 3 after moving to Ultra I am facing this issue. I checked this port info 3rd party sites it says port is closed.

Please provide me the solution

cammerz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Do we have an update as to when Arlo plan to have this resolved with the iOS app?

grarun11
Aspirant
Aspirant

You are right its working in Google play store but not in ios. 

andy445566
Tutor
Tutor

Me too - works with Android but not iOs. Any response from Arlo when this will be fixed. They promised in June to keep this thread updated on progress of the fix and have shared nothing. 

Middleweight
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had the same issue as you.  One of the replies from my post suggested that issue only resides on iOS, but Android works well.  I have therefore tested it from an Android phone with a success. 

EY88
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m getting the same “Video stored on hub are not available. Please check your connection settings”, but I don’t know what changed on my connection settings. Did they update the ARLO software and introduce this error?

EY88
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have VMB5000r4 and FW 1.24.0.1_1607_8938730. When I open the library I’m getting the  “Video stored on hub are not available. Please check your connection settings”, How do I check the connection settings fo the hub? Did they update the ARLO software and introduce this error?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@EY88 wrote:

I have VMB5000r4 and FW 1.24.0.1_1607_8938730. When I open the library I’m getting the  “Video stored on hub are not available. 

Does this work properly when your phone is connected to your home wifi?

There is a bug with port forwarding in the iOS app, so if you are using an iPhone/iPad remotely you won't be able to access the local recordings unless you use a home VPN.  That was first reported here in early June.  Arlo hasn't said when they will fix it.

EY88
Aspirant
Aspirant

I used to access the library on my IPad. Now I can’t access the library from any device. I also don’t subscribe to the Arlo service. Are there any instructions to access through VPN via router port? Thank you!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@EY88 wrote:

Are there any instructions to access through VPN via router port? Thank you!

This would be a router feature, so Arlo can't provide instructions.  Not all routers have a built-in VPN, but some high-end routers do.  Two examples are Netgear Nighthawk and Orbi.  It is possible (but more difficult) to install a VPN server on an always-on PC.

What router do you have (manufacturer and model)???

EY88
Aspirant
Aspirant

Netgear Orbi RBR50

EY88
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo hub connects my Orbi RBR50 via Ethernet cable.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@EY88 wrote:

My Arlo hub connects my Orbi RBR50 via Ethernet cable.

You'll need to first enable the free DDNS service and then set up the VPN

About once a month you'll get an email from noip.com (the provider of the ddns service), which will have a link you need to use to keep the ddns service active.

cammerz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Considering how long it’s been reported for and it’s still not fixed, I’m convinced they’re just forcing people to subscribe to their premium features and get more money out of them. This should have been fixed by now.

Peñaflor
Tutor
Tutor

You are correct

It was working no long ago, now it is not

Reason for changing strategy, I got two other sites to install security, I am looking for other supplier for the solution.

PB

Henrysky
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo spin off from Netgear.

If you guy trust Arlo, you can use Netgear.

bradu2
Aspirant
Aspirant

In the meantime, a new version of the Arlo app for iOS has come (4.17), no fix on this issue.

Thanks Arlo!!

Kensob
Aspirant
Aspirant

So as I understand this, port forwarding worked until an IOS app update.  Now port forwarding no longer works and it has bee several months and still no fix?

Pagly
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exactly! Quite embarrassing for a company like this…

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kensob wrote:

So as I understand this, port forwarding worked until an IOS app update. 

Yes.  Though there was an iOS update at around the same time - hard to say if that factors in as well.

@Kensob wrote:

Now port forwarding no longer works and it has bee several months and still no fix?

It does work properly on Android.  The first reports I recall seeing on this issue were early June (I think June 2nd).

In general, the history on direct access to local storage suggests that Arlo doesn't make fixing bugs in the feature a priority.