Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

maharrm
Tutor
Tutor

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The development team is working on the fix for the issue with the remote access. I will provide another update as soon as I have more information related to the release. 

Thank you for your patience

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

516 REPLIES 516
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mmellon46 wrote:

While investigating I saw a statement from someone claiming to have a tech from Arlo say they know it is a problem and their programmers are trying to fix it????

It you are using an iPhone, then Arlo certainly knows about it, folks have been reporting the issue here for over a month.

They haven't given any information on when they will fix it.

Ammydr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the detailed info. But that is what I have done but no avail. And I think someone mentioned that if you are using iPhone then issue is there so that might be the reason. 

I just want yo make sure about one thing that when I am getting porting numbers in arlo app on my phone , if my phone need to be on its cellular network, 2.4 or 5GHz? 

Ammydr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I am using the iPhone. Let us see

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ammydr wrote:

I just want yo make sure about one thing that when I am getting porting numbers in arlo app on my phone , if my phone need to be on its cellular network, 2.4 or 5GHz? 

Getting the port to forward from the app just requires that the phone be connected to the internet.  How doesn't matter.

The forwarding itelf needs to be done in your router.

Ammydr
Aspirant
Aspirant

What I meant was that while setting up port forwarding, if IPHONE needs to be on cellular network or 2.4/5 ghz wifi ?

FBM
Aspirant
Aspirant

iPhone must be on the same network as your Arlo base station. (Home network) Either 2.5/5GHZ does not matter.

Ammydr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. 

Pauld33
Guide
Guide

Saw the new iOS app update released today, 4.16. Port Forwarding still does not work (but still does work on my phone running version 4.13).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ammydr wrote:

What I meant was that while setting up port forwarding, if IPHONE needs to be on cellular network or 2.4/5 ghz wifi ?

That was what I answered.  The iPhone just needs to be connected to the internet, so it can get the port you need to forward from the Arlo Cloud. It doesn't matter how it is connected - it can be either on WiFi or Cellular (or both).

@FBM:  Your answer is not correct, you can get the setup info you need without being connected to your home network.   I just double-checked that on my own iPhone. 

If you want to test that your port forwarding setup works, then you do need to disconnect your iPhone from your home wifi.  You can either connect it just to celluar data, or connect it to a remote wifi network.  

FBM
Aspirant
Aspirant

You are correct and I misspoke. Just tried it myself. Seems contour intuitive to me because if you set up port forwarding via cell or another remote network, you still need access your home network router to set up the port forwarding (open a hole in your firewall) for it to work. So you would need a router that allows remote administration or a VPN. And if you have a VPN to access your home network then why would you need to enable port forwarding?

Unless I am missing something??

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FBM wrote:

if you set up port forwarding via cell or another remote network, you still need access your home network router to set up the port forwarding (open a hole in your firewall) for it to work.

That is correct of course, so in practice it is easier to get this working when you are at home.

Ammydr
Aspirant
Aspirant

For me I tried everything and it is not working.

1). The arlo hub is connected via ethernet to main internet provider mortem.

2). From arlo app I took the porting configuration into my Morem settings

3). Tried the different porting numbers by refreshing even while my cellphone being connected to cellular network, then 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz but nothing seems to work.

nhudon
Tutor
Tutor

Confirm that viewing local recording from an Arlo Smarthub not working on iOS app but working fine on the Arlo app from Google Play Store.

nhudon
Tutor
Tutor

Hi,

I can confirm that viewing local recordings from an Arlo Smarthub not working on iOS app but working fine on the Arlo app from Google Play Store.

rchen119
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exactly same as  my testing!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ammydr wrote:

For me I tried everything and it is not working.

1). The arlo hub is connected via ethernet to main internet provider mortem.

2). From arlo app I took the porting configuration into my Morem settings

3). Tried the different porting numbers by refreshing even while my cellphone being connected to cellular network, then 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz but nothing seems to work.

If you use an iPhone, then you will just need to wait for Arlo to fix the bug.

christerlind
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have talked to the support in Sweden and they have open up a ticket aboute this problem

SOLEdier
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am still having this problem still. Has it not been fixed yet? I refresh the Internal/External Ports and change the numbers on my NODES to match them, but I still get Not Available for Status.

Ammydr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately it is still same and not working.

Middleweight
Aspirant
Aspirant

Starting from early June 2024 (could be earlier), I no longer able to remote access to local storage saved on my VMB5000 from outside of the network.

I have done some troubleshooting below:

1. Re-configured port forwarding by using different port and made sure they match on Arlo app and my ISP router setting

2.  Reset ISP router to manufacture settings

3.  Reset Arlo app and settings

At this point, I still no longer able to access to my local storage (recording) from outside of the network, inside the network I am ok to access to those recording.   I also found that outside of the network I can't telnet to the forwarded port unless I "initiate" it (someone needs to do it from the internal network) by going to Arlo Secure App, Devices, SmartHub, Storage Settings, Port Forwarding.   As soon as I go in there, the Status red ! symbol spins and I can telnet to the port from outside.   It has a short time limit and then the port seems to be closed its own.   So I can access to the local storage for a short period of time with that initiation.  However, I have been no problem to access the local storage from internal network.

Any help would be appreciated!

leung1007
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I am setting up the arlo smart hub with port forwarding to view the video recorded using the arlo mobile app.

I have enabled the port forwarding on the smart hub, allowed the port forwarding on my virgin media hub 5 and tested with https://canyouseeme.org/

The testr result on https://canyouseeme.org/ shows the port is ready.

However the arlo mobile app shows the port forwarding is not available.

Any idea to make the port forwarding works?

IMG_0354.PNG

screen scpture 2024-07-13 123209.jpg

IMG_0355.JPEG

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a bug in the iOS app, resulting in port forwarding not working on iPhones and iPads.  It does work with Android.  Arlo hasn't said when they will fix it.

A home VPN does work with iPhone, but is hard to set up unless your router has something like OpenVPN built in.  (Netgear Orbi and Nighthawk routers have it built in, some other high-end home routers do also).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

There is a bug in the iOS app, so at the moment port forwarding only works on Android devices.

@Middleweight wrote:

I also found that outside of the network I can't telnet to the forwarded port unless I "initiate" it (someone needs to do it from the internal network) by going to Arlo Secure App, Devices, SmartHub, Storage Settings, Port Forwarding. 

Why are you trying this????

My VMB5000s don't respond to telnet - the connection is refused on the local network using either default port or the forwarded port.

jmq
Initiate
Initiate

Can anyone confirm if this would only impact viewing stored videos?

Here's my situation.  I've been using local storage (with no subscription) and the appropriate port forwarded on my router for about a year now with no issues.  I received alerts and could view both live and recorded videos from both my local network and remotely on my iPhone.   Until about two weeks ago everything worked great.  Now everything works correctly inside my network.  Externally on my iPhone I still get alerts, can view live video, and can even configure the base station.  However, I can not access stored videos.  This makes it pretty useless because I can't see what triggered an alert when not at home.  Nothing has changed in the network setup for either the modem, router, or base station.  Using nmap on a remote machine I verified that the forwarded port is open.  Since I can see live video remotely the path to the cameras is working.  Does this sound like the same issue, and if so can someone from Arlo comment on a fix date?  Thanks!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jmq wrote:

Can anyone confirm if this would only impact viewing stored videos?

It only affects iPhone/iPad users who are using port forwarding to see their locally stored videos when away from home.  Users who instead use a home VPN are not affected.