Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

maharrm
Tutor
Tutor

I recently started to experience the error, “Videos stored on Base Station are not available. Please check connection settings.” when trying to access locally stored videos in the Library (I have a VMB5000r5 base station recording to a microSD card). 

I have previously been able to access videos with Port Forwarding enabled and also without Port Forwarding when connected to my home network. 

I have again disabled Port Forwarding and am connected on my home network, but still receive the same error.

i can see from the storage setting info that my microSD card appears to be saving videos as the amount of space used is increasing.

Anyone else experiencing this error recently? Thanks. 

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The development team is working on the fix for the issue with the remote access. I will provide another update as soon as I have more information related to the release. 

Thank you for your patience

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the feedback, the development team is investing these reports and I will be updating the thread with more information as soon as I receive it. 

516 REPLIES 516
Kensob
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the ultra 2 camera system that recently stopped allowing me to access the library when I’m away from home.  All of the settings are correct on my modem according to my isp.  Are there any suggestions for what could cause this?  Are there any solutions?

dujcym18
Guide
Guide

shameless

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kensob wrote:

I have the ultra 2 camera system that recently stopped allowing me to access the library when I’m away from home.  All of the settings are correct on my modem according to my isp.  Are there any suggestions for what could cause this? 

This is with direct access to local storage?

Port forwarding isn't working in the iPhone app due to a bug.  Arlo knows about it but hasn't provided any timeline for a fix.  Note the bug only affects iPhones, port forwarding works fine with Android.

@Kensob wrote:

Are there any solutions?

A home VPN will work with iOS.  Some high-end routers (for example Netgear Nighthawks and Orbis) have openVPN built in. If yours doesn't have that feature you'd need to set up a VPN server on your home network.

Unfortunately I don't know of any other workaround.

LiamTay
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’ve been having this issue as well. But as all those have said. This is not going to be a priority for them as they make money from the subscriptions!

FBM
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having same issue using a VMB4540r2. Have not upgraded to the new update from a  couple of months ago. I noticed the issue early in June 2024 while traveling. My port forwarding status says "not available". Tried refreshing the configuration several times and reset my router to the new internal/external port assigned but status still says "not available". Stored Videos work normally while connected to my home WIFI. Accessing cameras and VMB4540r2 via the iPhone App. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

PS. Not sure how other responder to this issue knows it is an IOS issue?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FBM wrote:

PS. Not sure how other responder to this issue knows it is an IOS issue?

To be clear, I am saying it is a problem with the iOS app.  Not iOS itself.

The reasoning is simple

• Users here using Android say it works for them.
  • Users with iPhones say it doesn't.

Are you using Android or iOS?

FBM
Aspirant
Aspirant

Using IOS. Understand your logic and what you meant. Just curious if you had contact with Arlo support and they verified.

Tried to use their support chat but never received a OTP code to enter into the chat so that was a dead end. Very disappointed with Arlo and their support. Unless you have a subscription with them they don't want to help. We all spent a lot of money on their system for such lousy support. I have 3 cameras and a wired door bell.

Thanks for the reply.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

@dujcym18 I agree with @Henrysky that this system can't be called professional. And I'd not be surprised if insurers wouldn't offer  discounts. It's too unreliable. Every, literary every, release of firmware and software introduces an issue. It's good for someone that likes tinkering, having their life filled with worry and perpetual testing. These guys are anything but professional. It's embarrassing. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FBM wrote:

Just curious if you had contact with Arlo support and they verified.

I haven't contacted Arlo about it - I use a home VPN, which works with my iPhone.

christerlind
Aspirant
Aspirant

If  everyone in here put a message on Arlo Smart Home on Facebook aboute this problem perhaps they wake up and fix it.

Kensob
Aspirant
Aspirant

How long have they known about this?  You would think that there are many iPhone users that are affected. 

Pagly
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here! I also raised another ticket with the same problem ( https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Problema-libreria-locale-SmartHub/m-p/2360409?cid=eml_000131%3Ffr... ). It’s impossible to connect with my iPhone, but if a use another iPhone with my account, it works (and the port forwarding results available). Obviously I tryed to delete and reinstall the app, but it seems that Arlo servers don’t want my MAC address to connect. Italy, Europe. Worst security system and assistance I ever had with an electronic device.

Hope arlo team solve this problem soon…

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kensob wrote:

How long have they known about this?  You would think that there are many iPhone users that are affected. 

It was reported in early June, and there are a couple of hundred posts here on the topic.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Pagly wrote:

but if a use another iPhone with my account, it works (and the port forwarding results available).

Could you tell us what phone model, what version of iOS and what version of the app is running on that phone???

FBM
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried to contact them using their chat but after filling out my information they require you to enter a code that they send via email so you can go to the next step or chat with someone. Their chat said they sent me a code but the email never came thru with the code. Tried 3 or 4 times but no email came thru to my inbox, spam or any other folder. Even tried with an other mail address I have. Just gave up after that.

FBM
Aspirant
Aspirant

Follow up on my prior post. The reason I am not receiving a code to continue the chat is I do not have a support subscription and am well past the 1 year warranty period. I know I am not eligible for phone support but was thinking they might have changed their policy and now allow chat support. Not the case. Personally if this an Arlo App issue and I loose access to local storage permanently when not on my home network, I will not purchase any additional Arlo products and go with one of the many other company's that value their customer base. Not willing to spend $150/year on a subscription I don't need or want.

BigPaul
Initiate
Initiate

This is RIDICULOUS. I am a long time user and soon to be former proponent of their product. I too have lost remote access via port forwarding due to whatever crap update Arlo has pushed without notice of potential repercussion. This is how they FORCE users to purchase a subscription to UNNECESSARY cloud access. Why have port forward as an option if they are not going to work with IOS to make functionality possible. We purchased your product as advertised -NOW SUPPORT IT. 

UMR
Tutor
Tutor

Tried setting up port forwarding but couldn’t. I need your kind help.

MagicMokey
Tutor
Tutor

Ever since the Arlo App 4.15 (7556) on June 28, 2024 for IOS my Arlo system has been buggy. The two primary issues are:

(1) I cannot access the Local Video Library from my IOS phone. I can from an ancient Android Tablet that I had laying around. Not a suitableness or viable solution. 

(2) The base Station randomly flashing amber. Never did this before.  Regardless if the LED is solid blue or Amber it does not impact issue (1).  

A piece of good news is it appears that the cameras are still communicating with the base station and recording. I can just cannot access them from my phone or easily.

Any idea when Arlo with patch the IOS Version of the app?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@UMR wrote:

Tried setting up port forwarding but couldn’t. I need your kind help.

Would you be using iOS or Android for remote access?  There is a bug with the iOS app which is preventing remote access for a lot of users.

Port forwarding rules need to be added to your router.  Specifics on how to do that depend on the manufacturer/model of the router.   You can post that info (and also post the manufacturer/model of your modem if you have one), and we might be able to help.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MagicMokey wrote:

(1) I cannot access the Local Video Library from my IOS phone. I can from an ancient Android Tablet that I had laying around.

This is a known issue (first reported in early June I think).  No idea when Arlo will fix it.

You should be able to see the library when the iPhone is connected to your home wifi.  If you have a home VPN set up (either router-hosted or your own VPN server), then that will also work (with no port forwarding).

Henrysky
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think it is very funny!

iOS17.5.1 released at May 20,2024,

Fixed a bug that caused previously-deleted photos to reappear in iOS 17.5.

Then, Arlo's port forwarding stop work.

Ammydr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

I am unable to activate port forwarding on my ultra 2 attached to VMB5000 NA.

So arlo base hub station is directly attached to the router and was always. I have tried different settings on my phone for wifi like 5g, 2.4 ghz etc. My Q is when setting port forward if my phone need to be on cellular network or home wifi and if wifi then does it matter 2.4 or 5 ghz.

What internal port and external ports usually work as I have tried every configuration which shows in app but not helpful.

Thanks

Mmellon46
Initiate
Initiate

I have been having the same problem with 2 Base Stations VBM5000r4.  Video is stored on the micro SD card but port forwarding is not working .  Ports are not blocked and it has been working for about a year but not for a couple of weeks.  I don't have a paid subscription so Arlo customer service will not talk to me.  The online chat is not helpful. While investigating I saw a statement from someone claiming to have a tech from Arlo say they know it is a problem and their programmers are trying to fix it????

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, set a static IP address for your hub in the router's DHCP settings. That way any reboots will continue to use the same address so you don't have to reconfigure port forwarding. Once that's configured (reboot your hub if needed to ensure it gets the right address), use the app to configure port forwarding in the hub's settings, under Storage Settings, Local Storage Settings, Port Forwarding. Obviously, you must enable it after which you will see the hub's current IP address which should be what you just configured the router to supply as well as the ports needed. Then, in the router's settings, configure port forwarding for that same IP address using the supplied ports. It's fine to use both TCP and UDP as the protocols to be used. 

The frequency band in use (2.4 or 5GHz) has no bearing.