Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jgreenert1
Aspirant
Aspirant

2 weeks ago the light on the VMB5000 base station began to flicker amber and was showing offline. After a few hours, the light turned solid blue and the system worked normally. The problem persisted for several days so did a factory reset on base station. I successfully added the base station & cameras and system worked normal for a few days when same problem began again (flashing amber light & offline). The base station is hardwired directly into AT&T BGW210-700 modem using their 1G Fiber service.  A tech replaced all AT&T equipment today and Arlo worked for a several hours but connection problem returned. Reading several posts, I tried a factory reset again. This time website cannot discover the base station and the app never makes a connection and times outs. There are only 2 devices connected to the modem (PC and Arlo). The AT&T Smart Home Manager sees the base station. I have seen posts on the AT&T site regarding problems with the Pro unit and SSIDs with special characters but nothing on the newer Ultra units.  Anyone experiencing similar issues with AT&T and Arlo VMB5000 base station? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jgreenert1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found the cause of the issue, but do not understand why it is causing the problem. The source is the connection of a DirecTV Genie Mini to the HDMI 1 (STB) port of a Samsung TV located in the same room as the Arlo base station and AT&T modem.

The DirecTV receiver had been plugged into the Set-Top-Box (STB) HDMI port of the TV for years without issue. I did replace the receiver but the issue persisted with the replacement and I tracked it down to the HDMI port 1. I have moved the Genie to port 3 and the Arlo has been working without issues for 12 hours. I did change the TV to a different network (guest) but the modem in the TV has issues so it has not been connected to the internet for a year. I determined the Arlo would work with the TV streaming via a Roku. We have 3 other DirecTV receivers (wired and wireless) and they operated without causing the Arlo to disconnect. The DirecTV system is connected to the modem wirelessly.

Hopefully this helps someone with a similar issue in the future. I would be interested if anyone has any insight  as to why connection caused this issue..  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey jgreenert1,

If your SmartHub keeps going offline even after a factory reset, contact the Support Team to further investigate the problem you're having. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

jgreenert1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. After a factory reset of the base station and several attempts to find it, I was able to reestablish connection with the base station and acquire the cameras. FYI, I tried 7 - 10 times with the website and was not able to acquire the base station. With prior resets, the website found the unit. Initially the app would not allow me to sign-in but eventually I was able to sign-in and after 4 - 6 attempts the app found the base station and I was able to reacquire the cameras. I almost gave up and closed the app when I noticed it was asking for me to name the base station.

What makes it odd is that I had done a factory reset prior to the new equipment but then had to do it again after the new equipment.  AT&T had suggested that I move the Arlo system to a 2.4GHz band rather than allow the modem to select the best band. Previously, when it was working, I did not have band steering enabled.

Oh well, 24 hours and I still have a blue light on the base station and I am able to see the cameras. I will see if I have issues during the next day or two and then move to connecting the next device to look for network conflicts.

jgreenert1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I found the cause of the issue, but do not understand why it is causing the problem. The source is the connection of a DirecTV Genie Mini to the HDMI 1 (STB) port of a Samsung TV located in the same room as the Arlo base station and AT&T modem.

The DirecTV receiver had been plugged into the Set-Top-Box (STB) HDMI port of the TV for years without issue. I did replace the receiver but the issue persisted with the replacement and I tracked it down to the HDMI port 1. I have moved the Genie to port 3 and the Arlo has been working without issues for 12 hours. I did change the TV to a different network (guest) but the modem in the TV has issues so it has not been connected to the internet for a year. I determined the Arlo would work with the TV streaming via a Roku. We have 3 other DirecTV receivers (wired and wireless) and they operated without causing the Arlo to disconnect. The DirecTV system is connected to the modem wirelessly.

Hopefully this helps someone with a similar issue in the future. I would be interested if anyone has any insight  as to why connection caused this issue..  

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation