Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Urgent: Activate Two-Step Verification
Arlo requires all users to activate two-step verification by Oct 31st, 2020 to continue to access your recordings, devices, and account.
Please enable this feature now. Learn More.

Updates to our Terms of Service (Oct 2020)

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Highlighted
Luminary
Luminary

I've recently received an email regarding the "Updates to our Terms of Service" from Arlo with an invitation to read the entire ToS.

Now I'm not one for reading these at the best of times but I do skim through them occasionally however in this case I'd be more interested in WHAT HAS CHANGED.

Does anyone know what has changed? Arlo?

Is it this bit?

6. DISPUTE RESOLUTION BY BINDING ARBITRATION; CLASS ACTION WAIVER. PLEASE READ THIS PROVISION CAREFULLY. IT AFFECTS YOUR RIGHTS.

YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT BY ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT, YOU AND THE COMPANY ARE EACH AGREEING TO ARBITRATE ALL DISPUTES ON AN INDIVIUDAL BASIS AND ARE THEREFORE WAIVING THE RIGHT TO TRIAL BY JURY AND TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION.

BINDING ARBITRATION.

Wow... just wow.

Model: VMB5000 | Arlo Ultra SmartHub
Highlighted
Apprentice
Apprentice

Basically an admission that @Arlo are involved in deceptive and unethical behaviour and are trying to make it hard for people to get together and call them out.. 

it’s a scare tactic.. 

they sell you something for inflated prices, change their subscriptions and remove all of the features you paid for, forcing you into expensive subs to get them back, when you were happy previously with what you signed up to.. 

Model: VMB5000 | Arlo Ultra SmartHub
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

The problem I have with them is they want everything they change to be retroactive.  If they make changes that apply to new purchases fine for the new customers, know what your buying but they want to take away rights from everyone who purchased before all these changes and that should not be legal.

Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

Arbitration was required before.  Note there is an opt-out for that clause in the terms of service.  Not sure if that is new or not.

Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

In a way I was commenting in general terms because of the constant changing things with Arlo.  I bought into an established company (Netgear) where this was never a constant.  Can't remember arbitration being a part of any Netgear product I've owned.  But as a long time Netgear customer I had long quit reading the statements.  As to an opt out I will  look again because I didn't see one.

Highlighted
Apprentice
Apprentice

you can opt out, I did and would encourage everyone else to do so as well.. 

Also I believe this is new as well

To the extent possible under the governing law, we may, at our discretion and without notice or user permission, change, add, or remove features and functionality of the Arlo Services. If you are dissatisfied with any material changes to the Arlo Services during a subscription, you may immediately terminate your use of the Arlo Services and be entitled to a pro-rated refund of any of your paid for, but unused, subscription. We are under no obligation to provide any or all features and functionality to your Arlo System and may, at our discretion, discontinue the provision of software updates to certain Arlo Systems. Because different Arlo Systems may support different features and functionality, the level of service we provide may not be the same for each Arlo System.

Highlighted
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

Can't remember arbitration being a part of any Netgear product I've owned. 

They have a similar clause, with a similar opt-out.  https://www.netgear.com/about/terms-and-conditions/

Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

demannu  Sounds like they are saying were going to do what we want and if you don't like it tough sh--.  No real change, just putting it in writing.  Got one year left of my extended warranty and then latest product will be the next purchase, just not Arlo.

Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

OK I read through them again and didn't find the opt out. Guidance please

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation