Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
pjama
Luminary
Luminary

I've recently received an email regarding the "Updates to our Terms of Service" from Arlo with an invitation to read the entire ToS.

Now I'm not one for reading these at the best of times but I do skim through them occasionally however in this case I'd be more interested in WHAT HAS CHANGED.

Does anyone know what has changed? Arlo?

Is it this bit?

6. DISPUTE RESOLUTION BY BINDING ARBITRATION; CLASS ACTION WAIVER. PLEASE READ THIS PROVISION CAREFULLY. IT AFFECTS YOUR RIGHTS.

YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT BY ENTERING INTO THIS AGREEMENT, YOU AND THE COMPANY ARE EACH AGREEING TO ARBITRATE ALL DISPUTES ON AN INDIVIUDAL BASIS AND ARE THEREFORE WAIVING THE RIGHT TO TRIAL BY JURY AND TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION.

BINDING ARBITRATION.

Wow... just wow.

13 REPLIES 13
JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Basically an admission that @Arlo are involved in deceptive and unethical behaviour and are trying to make it hard for people to get together and call them out.. 

it’s a scare tactic.. 

they sell you something for inflated prices, change their subscriptions and remove all of the features you paid for, forcing you into expensive subs to get them back, when you were happy previously with what you signed up to.. 

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

The problem I have with them is they want everything they change to be retroactive.  If they make changes that apply to new purchases fine for the new customers, know what your buying but they want to take away rights from everyone who purchased before all these changes and that should not be legal.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Arbitration was required before.  Note there is an opt-out for that clause in the terms of service.  Not sure if that is new or not.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

In a way I was commenting in general terms because of the constant changing things with Arlo.  I bought into an established company (Netgear) where this was never a constant.  Can't remember arbitration being a part of any Netgear product I've owned.  But as a long time Netgear customer I had long quit reading the statements.  As to an opt out I will  look again because I didn't see one.

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

you can opt out, I did and would encourage everyone else to do so as well.. 

Also I believe this is new as well

To the extent possible under the governing law, we may, at our discretion and without notice or user permission, change, add, or remove features and functionality of the Arlo Services. If you are dissatisfied with any material changes to the Arlo Services during a subscription, you may immediately terminate your use of the Arlo Services and be entitled to a pro-rated refund of any of your paid for, but unused, subscription. We are under no obligation to provide any or all features and functionality to your Arlo System and may, at our discretion, discontinue the provision of software updates to certain Arlo Systems. Because different Arlo Systems may support different features and functionality, the level of service we provide may not be the same for each Arlo System.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LandJS wrote:

Can't remember arbitration being a part of any Netgear product I've owned. 

They have a similar clause, with a similar opt-out.  https://www.netgear.com/about/terms-and-conditions/

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

demannu  Sounds like they are saying were going to do what we want and if you don't like it tough sh--.  No real change, just putting it in writing.  Got one year left of my extended warranty and then latest product will be the next purchase, just not Arlo.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

OK I read through them again and didn't find the opt out. Guidance please

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
I'm completely done with Arlo after just finishing up reading through the other threads talking about how they COMPLETELY REMOVED any sort of 4k usage on my ultras if I don't purchase an Elite subscription....

As others mentioned that is fully 100% illegitimate and a down right bait an switch. I can no longer even stream 4k live in the house, or record in 4k to my base station with my SD card that I bought for 4K CAMERA SYSTEM for over $1200...

An don't tell me "its not possible" - that was a cop out cover up statement towing the company line JamesC.... it worked flawless during the "free year" - and still is for several people have reported they are on their free year. So clearly this isnt some hardware limitation - this is a maneuver to force customers onto the more expensive elite plan just to use the basic features of the units we were sold..... they probably realized more people were foregoing the 4k Elite plan and paying for the more affordable but still overpriced Premiere plan...

No surpirse to see ToS changes to protect their slimey ways for legal mitigation.

What a joke. Im done with these clowns. I just told my buddy who bought a 5-camera Ultra kit yesterday to return it and he did immediately. I'm a realtor and will tell ALL clients to avoid this money sapping bait and switch like the plague.

You guys have slid all the way to the bottom of the tank IMHO. Nice knowing ya. Well not really - but good riddance anyways, I'll be switching to brand X, Y, or - possibly the Lorex system others have noted...probably before the end of the year. I'll be sure an use that ToS clause to get my money pro-rated back from this Sham outfit.

@JamesC @Arlo
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Yup just in Costco and after giving my opinion to the sales girl had one guy back away from a ultra2 purchase and two changed their minds about the pro3.  Best thing we can do is inform people.  It did help that another customer backed me up.

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ive been doing the same, actively warning people against buying Arlo products and any opportunity I get will bad mouth them. 

What's bad is that they could easily become a well like company if they didn't intentionally cripple people from using their own products the pay an absolute premium to own. 

I really wish I could get local access to MY cameras so I could set them up with a product like blue iris and remove myself from the dictatorship model Arlo runs. 

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Its hurting them. I am slowly moving to Ring products, and on our community Facebook page I have a long thread where I give advice on these systems, as I have used a few of them, and Arlo are often mentioned, but I advise against them. Most have no idea of the shady practices they employ to lock you into the high prices and reduced features..

The same question come up what about 4K.. I explain, you only get that if you get extorted into paying the full price, they even cripple the local recording.. Nearly ever one will buy Ring or Eufy..

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

yep, their share prices are crashing so its easy to see why they are doing this, to rinse their customers for more of their hard earned money. disgusting company. 

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation