Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
RON94188
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wanted to purchase one Ultra Camera and the VMB 5000 router as an upgrade my existing seven (qty 7),  Pro3 cameras.  The Arlo website says: "Arlo Ultra also includes 1 year of Arlo Smart Premier service with rolling 30 day cloud recordings (up to 10 cameras)."

However, that appears to be misleading.  I've spoken to tech support and sales support.  Both confirm that the plan only applies to new Ultra cameras purchased at the same time.  My existing Pro2 cameras would not be included.  As well, this is not the "Elite" plan so the Ultra camera would be stepped down from 4K to 2K.  Has anyone else run into this and are there any options that are valuable?  

Further, only one plan is allowed per account, so there isn't a way to get all 8 cameras on the same plan without paying full price which for the base plan (2K, not 4K) is $9.99 / month for the first five cameras, plus three cameras at $2.99 - 50%.  Not simple but that comes out to $17.48 / month or $209.76 a year.  And the plan offered on the website would go to waste.  

Also found that the USB port on the back of my current Netsuite version of the Smart Hub is not for external storage but it's for tech support use.  

Anyone that can offer some good news???   Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
RON94188
Aspirant
Aspirant

So Arlo, no reply???

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @RON94188

I see you spoke to customer support, may I ask which issue or question you would like assistance with? You will be able to add your Pro 2 cameras to the VMB5000 & trial plan.

RON94188
Aspirant
Aspirant

As I mentioned, I spoke to both cust svc and tech support.  Both told me that if I buy the one camera Ultra with it's base unit, that although it says up to 10 cameras, that it only applies to Ultra cameras purchased at the same time.  And, that I cannot add existing camera's to the one year plan.  So, the question is, is this information correct?  It sound's like you are saying it is not.  If I can buy the one camera Ultra package from Arlo direct, I would use the new router, one Ultra camera, seven existing Pro 2 cameras and would like to have all of it on the one year plan that comes with it.  Thanks for any help you can provide.  I'd rather know before I buy.  

medicwhite
Initiate
Initiate

I thought the same as you. I was told the same thing by support. Apparently, the subscription follows the cameras, not the base station. I'm still not clear on what happens at the end of the free subscription if I am still using the old cameras. Sounds to me like I will have to pay both the current subscription (9.99) plus the new subscription (14.95) to continue to use the old and new cameras. I ran into something similar with a different subscription service...they seem to like "new" customers, but they don't allow "upgraders" any options. 

I may just return the Ultra kit and consider other options. If I have to junk the old system and buy all new equipment, I might as well take a look at Ring or Eufy.

I was describing this to someone the other day...be very careful when picking systems. I've ended up with exterior cameras, alarm and interior cameras, doorbell, smart device, and smart lights all on different systems. Maybe it is time to start consolidating.

ming8888
Star
Star

Make sure you choose a company who doesn't change their ways of doing business forcing subscription upon you to change their business model.

I am now looking to other legit company which honors their mission Eufy seems to be the way to go need to more research.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation