Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Osussat
Guide
Guide

Hi all

I purchased 4x Arlo Ultra cameras  with hub last year, and my initial 1 year subscription has just expired.

I renewed on the 2K Cloud recording plan, knowing that I would be able to access 4K recordings locally, still.

However, to my annoyance, my whole setup (including local streaming and recording) has now been reduced to 2K.

I have downloaded the locally stored files from the SSD directly to confirm that they are indeed only recording at 2K.

Please can someone from Arlo respond to this?  I'm, hoping this is just a technical issue and not a commercial strategy.

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Oli

50 REPLIES 50
WeAre911
Guide
Guide

So, I'm pretty disappointed about my Arlo Ultra "4K".

My internet is 300+ down/ 300+ up 3-14 ms ping using 2.4-5GHz.

I just purchased the Arlo Ultra "4K" with 4 cameras. I have the "Arlo Smart Premier 1 Year" which includes the following:

Premier

• Support up to 10 cameras
  • 30 days cloud history
  • Custom Activity Zones
  • Person, vehicle, package, animal and CO/smoke alarm detection
  • Rich notifications
  • e911 (US only)

With that being said I understand I only have access to uploading 1080p to the cloud for a year with 4K local streaming, however, with the current internet details I provided I DO NOT get 4K local streaming, it's terrible quality, I can't even make out my license plate which is no more than 30 feet being still. It looks as if "4K" badge on the top left is another way of saying 1080p for local live streaming because when I download it as a 1080p video it looks exactly the same. 

I'm up to date with my FW, I reset my base station, still nothing changes.

Is "4K" live local streaming really only available if I have the Elite Plan?

Is that "4K" badge on the top left while live streaming locally only for show?

I do have the "4K" badge while I stream locally, so how can I confirm that my local streaming is "4K" when it's pixelated/ terrible quality?

This is ridiculous, if I don't get this fixed soon, I'm getting a full refund, I just got them yesterday.

I'm attaching an image with "4K" local streaming, snapshot, terrible quality.

dcfox1
Master
Master

Do you have the Ultra 2 already or are you talking about the Ultra cam. 

WeAre911
Guide
Guide

I have the Arlo Ultra 4k 4-kit camera system. I didn't even know the "Ultra 2" is out?...

dcfox1
Master
Master

Its not out yet that is why I ask since you posted this here. 

Sevakesmailian
Apprentice
Apprentice
Sevakesmailian
Apprentice
Apprentice
On the community page you went on the arlo ultra 2 camera. Right after the ultra 2 its the reg Arlo ultra... post your experience there. Unless you purchased the ultra 2 from Costco.com

Go on the ultra page on the community heres the link https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/bd-p/en-arlo-ultra
dcfox1
Master
Master

I had a felling when the Ultra 2 was named that it was going to confuse people. The Pro4 name  may have been better. Who knows may be one in future. 

WeAre911
Guide
Guide

I haven't gotten no reply about my current issue with "4k" local streaming when it's all pixelated. Like worse than 720p...

pjama
Luminary
Luminary
pjama
Luminary
Luminary

> Saving 4K video to Local storage:

> https://kb.arlo.com/000062124/How-do-I-record-4K-videos-to-a-local-storage-device

> the word "subscription" is NOT found on either support article.   I have saved copies of these since Arlo will probably edit them soon.

This article was "Last Updated:07/13/2020" and contains:

#########################

You need the following to record locally in 4K:

• An Arlo Ultra or Ultra 2 camera
  • One of the following:
    • An Arlo Smart Elite plan
    • No Arlo Smart subscription
    • A 4K-compatible legacy Arlo Smart subscription

Note: Due to hardware limitations, Arlo Ultra cameras cannot stream to the cloud in 2K and simultaneously record locally in quality higher than 2K. However, Arlo Ultra can simultaneously stream to the cloud and locally in 4K.

#########################

So it does mention plans and subscriptions, now at least. I don't know if that was include before. I for one would like a copy of those documents you have stored.

AFAIK, that Note: is BS. As outlined in my post here : https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Ultra/4K-live-is-now-only-2K-live/m-p/1783722/highlight/true#M151...

Pre subscription change to Premier, my Ultras were recording 4k to the SDcard and 1080p to the portal library so it CAN be done. I can understand not *streaming* to both at the same time which makes that statement technically correct but I suspect it was transcribed from one format to another somewhere so the end result is two formats.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

A updated article might show it now but it sure didn't originally, that is however what support as telling people after the fact.  This brings up a curiosity for me though.  If I understand right, using pan and zoom drops what goes to the cloud to 1080.  Now if that's the case shouldn't using pan and zoom allow me to again have 4K live and 4K to my SD.  Will have to test it when I have time.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Due to hardware limitations, Arlo Ultra cameras cannot stream to the cloud in 2K and simultaneously record locally in quality higher than 2K. When subscribing to an Arlo Smart plan, the maximum supported resolution for live streaming, cloud recordings and local recordings will be consistent with the maximum supported resolution for the selected Arlo Smart plan.

For more information on this, take a look here: What are the available Arlo subscription plans and how much cloud recording is available?

JamesC

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Thanks for the info James saves me testing the pan and scan idea.  Different from what you were saying in Jan and Feb, guess Arlo with held  this from everyone back then.

pjama
Luminary
Luminary

Hi @JamesC,

I know this is what the doco says NOW but it certainly didn't when I bought my system and it certainly wasn't the case for my free first 12 months of subscription.

For my first 12 months, I  had 4K on my SDCard and mostly(*) had 4K local streaming BUT 1080p on the portal library so it CAN be done. I would very much like my local 4K back and 2K on the portal library that I'm now paying for.

I can appreciate that technically the cams can't "stream" both but that's just a cop out. Arlo have done the two different formats before by some other method than "streaming".

(*) I think that was changed in the app at some point independent of subscription.

Osussat
Guide
Guide
Dear James

Whilst I appreciate the update, this is a change of behaviour that

1) Arlo should have informed us of a long time ago
2) Limits the device I bought in ways that wasn’t advertised at the time of purchase.

I have a support ticket open (as I’m sure do my fellow posters) and for some months have been asking that my Smart Plan is upgraded until such a time as Arlo resolve this issue for the longer term. Are you able to help with this?

Please could you also provide me with the details of your UK / European legal entity? I would like to ensure that legal papers are served to the right company in the case that you aren’t able to help further.

With thanks
trinatron
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC 

I'd be happy with your explanation, only if Arlo also explain why on the free 1 year subscription, the Ultra cameras could stream and record locally in 4K while also uploading to the cloud in 1080P.  Just because the cloud recordings has changed from 1080P to 2K shouldn't make a difference.

brianhollings
Star
Star

@JamesC 

Hi James,

This "limitation" honestly just sounds like a cop out to not resolve this issue. Arlo Ultra users should not have the quality of their camera degraded because of poor development. This is not what was advertised when we bought these cameras. If we wanted 2K cameras we would have bought into the Pro line of cameras instead.

At this point it just seems like the better option is to just cancel the "Smart Plan" subscription all together, so we can receive the 4K quality.

- Brian

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

That is what I'm thinking would be best.  You lose the smart notifications but then they are wrong 20% of the time anyway together with what has become way to long of a delay on top of it.  When I did drop my plan after a firmware blunder until they fixed it was how much faster my notifications were without a plan.  That would also give me back 4K to my SD which is where I want it most.  Now that they have made the cloud service their primary goal for making money, opting out of that service is probably the only thing that will get their attention.

steamyb
Guide
Guide

So,

basically what Arlo have done have removed 4K to get you to subscribe to the higher package. 

Admittedly 2k should give you better number plate reading visibility when zooming in. But in my case the ability to get to record “important” footage Is in itself is a challenge. Let’s see if it does make cloud recordings clearer.

I have tried numerous times to request a refund and Arlo do not reply. The system does not work as intended and now they change the T’s and C’s.? My free subscription runs out in September and if Arlo do not come up with a solution To our issues by end of next month it will be bye bye from me and plenty of on line bad press for Arlo.

mpoor
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am troubled by this false statement when looking at my renewal options (as my trial ends next month).

"Due to hardware limitations, Arlo Ultra cameras cannot stream to the cloud in 2K and simultaneously record locally in quality higher than 2K. However, Arlo Ultra can simultaneously stream to the cloud and locally in 4K."

I currently have 3 Ultra cameras on the 1 year free trial plan. 1 camera has premium recording on it as I added it. The other 2 do not. Premium records to cloud in 4k, others to cloud in 2k. All 3 cameras record locally in 4k and have done so for a year. Therefore, the above statement is not true. This is an intentional limiting of my local recording, which I believe should stay at 4k as I purchased a 4k resolution camera. Anyone else notice this little bait and switch?

If the camera can indeed record locally at 4k and to the cloud at 2k, which it can, I do not think its fair to limit what I can record on my local network. I don't recall being told I would have to purchase a 4k plan in order to record in 4k to my sd card.

JJAdV
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, I got scammed as well. I just clicked over 1 year.. I cant even keep 4K local and 1080 cloud like I had. They force me into the highest priced subscription to get this.

I have started to swap it all out for Ring.. Much better platform, much cheaper, many more options, and much more flexible.

mpoor
Aspirant
Aspirant
My biggest gripe is the reason for removing the 4K local with a 2k cloud plan that they give is false.
mpoor
Aspirant
Aspirant
Will the best local recording option simply be removed from my app?
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

yup, what I said a year ago.  Just spent a year sending 1080P to the cloud and 4K to the SD don't tell me it can't be done.  Have since learned I can have 5 cams on elite 4K and extras on 2K with 4K to the SD.  Yup it can be done.

demannu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Their share price is absolutely plummeting, theyre doing everything they can to rinse their customer of their hard earned money. Very deceitful company.