Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra camera infrared lights are slow to turn on

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

I have been really impressed with how bright the infrared is on the new Ultra cameras. And when I first installed them (maybe a month ago?), the infrared lights came on immediately when the cameras detected motion. But now they come on slowly, taking a full 3 seconds to fully illuminate the area. Has anyone else noticed this?

Here is a video from when the camera was first installed where the image is fully illuminated within the first second:

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/EA4A0622277CB779_201907

And here is a video from last night where the infrared slowly turns on and gradually increases in brightness, taking almost 4 seconds to fully illuminate:

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/B8C8035E9BF48504_201907

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been resolved in the most recent firmware update for Arlo Ultra.

Please be sure your camera is up to date with the latest version and take a look at the release notes here: Arlo Ultra VMC5040 - 1.070.41.5_156_3372fbf - 29th August 2019

JamesC

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
st_shaw
Master Master
Master

Mine do that now also. Might be a change in the recent firmware release.

Mdterps
Apprentice
Apprentice
One of my Ultra’s is doing this exact same thing since the most recent firmware update.
Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

Interesting. I'm glad it's not just me, but it's still super annoying. Anyone from Arlo care to weigh in on this issue??

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kammfam,

I'd like to get an actual video clip over to the development team showing this. (the link provided above will expire inside of 24 hours)

I will reach out to you in a private message to gather more information on this.

JamesC

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same exact thing here.

Whatever was “fixed” in the release notes talking about the audible clicking sounds being addressed at night time - you fixed one issue and broke another.... I guess the “fix” was adding a 4 second delay - which is stupid because it shows the clips of smart notifications in complete blackness because the frikking IR leds aren’t on yet.....

You guys really seriously need to fire every single one of your terrible developers and hire a full new crew.

There literally had not been one single firmware “update” since I bought $1200 worth of Arlo products in April that didn’t majorly screw something up with every piece of hardware that’s ever been updated.

I’ve seen some really bad development teams with products - but Arlo is the frikking KING releasing terrible untested firmware....

At least most companies make updates optional - and not mandatory. Arlo would save so much face with its customers if you just make the simple change of not forcing updates
Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

Interesting. I did notice that super loud click when I first installed the cameras. Glad they fixed that, but this certainly isn't much better. Half the time, the person going by the camera is gone by the time the infrared gets fired up.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kammfam,

Thank you for the helpful information and video clips. I've opened and escalated a ticket on this issue and will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

Any updates on this issue?

n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Kammfam wrote:

I have been really impressed with how bright the infrared is on the new Ultra cameras. And when I first installed them (maybe a month ago?), the infrared lights came on immediately when the cameras detected motion. But now they come on slowly, taking a full 3 seconds to fully illuminate the area. Has anyone else noticed this?

Here is a video from when the camera was first installed where the image is fully illuminated within the first second:

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/EA4A0622277CB779_201907

And here is a video from last night where the infrared slowly turns on and gradually increases in brightness, taking almost 4 seconds to fully illuminate:

https://my.arlo.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/B8C8035E9BF48504_201907

As you probably know the video clip links have expired so I can't see them and what I say may not apply to you at all.

On my Ultra setup the infrared is on immediately (always on?) and when motion is detected the spotlight comes on. The spotlight changes the recording from black and white to color. Since I have the cameras on power cables there is a 3 second pre-buffer that is on the recording but since the buffer is from before the motion detection (and before the spotlight came on) that 3 seconds is in black and white. When I first got my cameras they were not on cables so the color image from the spotlight started immediately. After the cables were added the 3 B&W seconds on infrared only were added.

Let me say again that none of this may apply to your situation, but it seems like a logical explanation for what you described.

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

Bumping this so it doesn't get lost in the sea of threads before we get an update...

Redpower187
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi,

I have noticed with the newest firmware update, IR takes longer to kick in.

I guess it was slowed down to combat the clicking noise, but I would rather the noise and not the slow illumination.

How do I attach a video highlighting the problem?
Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesC - is there any update on this issue? It's driving me nuts. By the time the infrareds come on fully, the person triggering the motion has already walked by. Makes the cameras kind of useless at night.

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

I'm going to assume by the silence on this thread that Arlo has decided to ignore this issue. This wasn't fixed in the recent firmward upgrade. Really frustrating.

SBloom9387
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here.  Just started recording inside at night and noticed the same issue, so I do t have a reference point from the past to compare it to.  I too found it frustrating. FWIW, My cameras are all wired to power, so even if there was an option, assuming it wouldnt wear out the bulb/chip, to keep it on, that’d be helpful.   

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is currently testing a fix for this issue. I will provide an update on when that fix will be available soon.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been resolved in the most recent firmware update for Arlo Ultra.

Please be sure your camera is up to date with the latest version and take a look at the release notes here: Arlo Ultra VMC5040 - 1.070.41.5_156_3372fbf - 29th August 2019

JamesC

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation