Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Chris311
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I really hope that Arlo in a soon future can fix so there is a possibilty to stream in 4k and at the same time use tracking/autozoom. I'm not an expert on cameras so maybe this is technical impossible?

//Chris

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chris311 wrote:

Hi

I really hope that Arlo in a soon future can fix so there is a possibilty to stream in 4k and at the same time use tracking/autozoom. I'm not an expert on cameras so maybe this is technical impossible?

It's not technically impossible.  But zooming the video on playback would have the same effect (and preserve the entire file of view).  Personally I think tracking/autozoom has some value when you are recording at 1080p, because it gives you higher resolution (because the sensor is 4K).   But if you are streaming 4K with a 4K sensor, I think it's better to zoom on playback.

Chris311
Aspirant
Aspirant

But I still want to stream in 4k and have tracking/autozoom function activated at the same time. As far as I activate tracking/autozoom function, local 4k streaming is disabled. This function is just possible when streaming in 1080p.

If I wanted to stream in just 1080p I had not bought 4k cams.

Maybe we misunderstand each other in some way?

//Chris

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Chris311 wrote:

But I still want to stream in 4k and have tracking/autozoom function activated at the same time.

Maybe we misunderstand each other in some way?

Perhaps.  

If they did what you are asking, the actual resolution of the zoomed image wouldn't be 4K.  They'd be taking just a part of the 4K image and blowing that that up.  It wouldn't be any clearer than zooming the image on playback, and most of the time it wouldn't look any clearer than autotrack/zoom does at 1080p now.  And when the autotrack makes a mistake, you would lose part of the field of view that you might need.

So I don't think it accomplishes much myself, and I wouldn't use it if they did implement it.  But technically it is certainly possible.  It might use some more power, since it would take more processing in the camera.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation