Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Andrew1234
Aspirant
Aspirant
Any ideas on how to get the motion detection feature to work more consistently? I have an ultra that is installed about 8 feet off the ground in my driveway. Sometimes a person can walk clear across the driveway (about 30 feet) and not be detected. Other times I catch a clip of someone walking away but nothing when they walked towards the house. I have the sensitivity all the way up and even limited the field of view to just the driveway. Any ideas? Feel like I spent over a thousand dollars and still don’t get basic functionality. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you read the FAQs here in the support section about best camera positioning as well as changing motion sensitivity in your modes and rules? How far away is the subject you're trying to capture? Remember that the PIR sensors only capture people out to maybe 25 feet, depending on these variables and others.

Andrew1234
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have seen the FAQs. I’m both cases that I mentioned, the subject was less than 15 feet from the camera. In the case of the individual walking towards and away from the house, he walked from about 30 feet away (street) all the way to directly under the camera, and it only picked up on the motion when he was walking away, and about 8-10ft from the camera. Nothing triggered the whole time walking towards the camera. What’s even more perplexing is the camera will pick up on every single car that passes the house which is about 30+ feet away. Grateful for any suggestions.
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

welcome to Arlo.  I've had people come down my back walk into the house get something and leave.  Same exact path but nothing on them coming in but catches them leaving.  Had the mail truck pull up drop off a pkg. and leave.  Nothing on them coming but catches them half way back to the truck.  Not always the case of course but not a good thing when it does.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @Andrew1234

May I ask which troubleshooting steps you have performed so far? I don't want to suggest any prior methods you have previously performed.

Andrew1234
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, like I said, I adjusted the motion sensitivity and zoomed the camera to just the driveway area. I also physically moved the camera A few times but nothing seems to help. Just today, and this isn’t a joke, a car pulled through my driveway (circular), in one end and out the other, directly through the field of view, and nothing triggered until the car was back on the street and passing the house. Thanks.
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

add that this evening I went out my backdoor walked to the garage and turned off the water turned and walked back to the house clearly in the video for 48 sec's and didn't get a notification because it called me a motion.  Makes me feel safe.  I'm 71, I don't move fast enough to be mistaken for motion.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Andrew1234

Have you tried rebooting or removing the camera from Settings > My Devices > Re-Add it?

Andrew1234
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve rebooted a few times before. I just removed and Re-added it so we’ll see. I don’t see how this will help but I’ll try it. Thanks.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation