Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Static/Scratching sound while plugged into AC power

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
Stealther
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok I've been dealing with this for a while and I think that this is a problem with the charging system in most of the Arlo cameras based on my experiences with my Ultra and the posts I'm reading that other people are having with their Pro 2 cameras.

I notice a metallic static or scratching sound in the background of both live view and recordings while connected to AC power.  Though some experimenting I believe I have isolated the problem to where the battery in the camera is fully charged and the camera is connected to AC power.  The sound will go away while the battery is charging but when the battery is fully charged the static sound comes back.

This leads me to believe this is a problem with the charging system of the camera and not really something that can be fixed by a software update.  I had requested a replacement camera from Arlo and a refurbished camera (in worse condition than my original) was sent out to me.  It exhibited the exact same problem, so I sent it back.

This problem has been reported in the Arlo Pro 2 forum and ShaneS had replied back on 03/16/2020 that engineering had identified the issue and a fix would be coming soon with a promise of an update (which never came).

What is the status of this?  Is this a hardware issue?

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How many cameras are using AC power? If just one, it's possible that it's the power adapter causing this.

Stealther
Aspirant
Aspirant

Right now I've only tested it with one camera. I have tested it with multiplle power sources but with the same cable.  It is possible that its the cable, but because the behavior seems to occur when the battery is fully charged and not while charging it doesn't seem likely.

I would like to hear from Arlo what the problem was that they identified in the linked thread.

ETA linked thread:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-2/Speaker-cracking/m-p/1762002/highlight/true#M42241

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stealther wrote:

It is possible that its the cable, but because the behavior seems to occur when the battery is fully charged and not while charging it doesn't seem likely.

I don't disagree with your analysis on this point, but I suggest ruling out the cable would still be a good next step.

Stealther
Aspirant
Aspirant
@ShayneS where are you?
Stealther
Aspirant
Aspirant
@StephenB I tested with a new charging cord and experience the same issue. After many hours on hold an Arlo representative is sending a 2nd replacement camera (a new on this time instead of a refurbished one) and said there is a hardware issue that is causing the problem. I’ll update this thread when I receive it and confirm if it fixed the problem.
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation