Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Ultra 4K Cameras waterproof issue

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Swzzle
Follower
Follower

DO NOT buy this product if you intend to use the cams outdoors in a southern USA state!!!!! Purchased the 4K-3 cam system in June 2019. Charging problems began shortly after purchase, as a result of water intrusion and subsequent compromise of contacts, both internal and external. Now, April 2021 (less than 2 years) - 2 of the 3 camera are "hosed" and no longer work due to water damage to both the charging apparatus and electronics. The cams were all equipped with silicone "skins" in accordance with exterior use. The 0-ring seal is poorly designed and is the obvious point of water intrusion. The only solution is to seal the union that the 0-ring serves with waterproof vinyl tape. I am sure the Arlo engineering team would be 'proud' of the required Robe Goldberg fix. If you live in an area with high heat and subsequent temperature swings + lots of rainfall, you'd be best to avoid this product, or NOT FOR EXTERIOR USE.

1 REPLY 1
LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

It's hard to get wetter than here in the Pacific NW and mine are 2 1/2 years old and none of the 7 has ever had a water issue.  A good skin should cover the area of the o ring, I know mine do.  I need to peel it back a bit should I need to pop a battery for some reason.  Mine are also plugged in 24/7 but I do make sure they have a drip loop and seals on the connectors.  Some brands aren't good at that.  The 2 in the worst areas I did purchase cam covers for but that was to keep heavy rain off the lens.  Sorry to hear about yours, these are a bit spendy but don't think I've seen any  with a higher moisture rating.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation