Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
blong7699
Star
Star

Why is my ultra’s spotlight being turned on when there is movement outside of my designated activity zone? I have designated an activity zone that does NOT include the street (see image below); however, all motion outside of this zone triggers a spotlight (including cars in the street). The problem with this behavior is that every car that drives by at night triggers my camera’s LED spotlight. Therefore, the only present solution is to turn off the spotlight altogether which is not what I want to do! Hopefully, this is a bug that can be fixed!?!? Anyone else having this issue?

E13BD572-0439-42B5-A35B-75001EA1368C.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

blong7699,

The spotlight engages because motion is still being detected by the camera. The activity zone simply tells the cloud not to save the detected motion event in the library. For this reason, camera positioning is important if you do not want the spotlight to engage when the camera detects motion outside the activity zone.

JamesC

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't see the image yet - use the Attach File or paperclip at the bottom of the text box instead of the camera icon above it.

A typical issue is that the camera is pointed too horizontally. Rotating the camera down to eliminate the street would be the fix.

blong7699
Star
Star

Image of activity zone(s)

blong7699
Star
Star

Camera utility screen

blong7699
Star
Star

@jguerdat wrote:

Can't see the image yet - use the Attach File or paperclip at the bottom of the text box instead of the camera icon above it.

A typical issue is that the camera is pointed too horizontally. Rotating the camera down to eliminate the street would be the fix.

Why would physically restricting the cameras view (pointing it downward) matter? Isn't the point of activity zones to limit what the camera is actually reporting and recording? 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

blong7699,

The spotlight engages because motion is still being detected by the camera. The activity zone simply tells the cloud not to save the detected motion event in the library. For this reason, camera positioning is important if you do not want the spotlight to engage when the camera detects motion outside the activity zone.

JamesC

blong7699
Star
Star

@JamesC , thanks for the response. Your solution helped me, and I’m sure others, who didn’t completely understand the distinction between general camera and Activity Zone movements.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation