Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
oabushaban
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I have Arlo Ultra (3 Bundle) with the 1 year Premier plan that is kind of useless to me (at least). And upgrading it to a Smart Plan seems to be unrealistic at this point.

Home Base model: VMB5000

With Local Storage enabled and NO smart plan, I still get:

• Remote and local live streaming
  • Push notifications
  • Auto Zoom and Tracking
  • Two-way audio
  • Local storage recording

Before I make a decision to move forward or return it, few questions:

• Can I have 4k recorded on local storage? if yes,
  • Is it continuous recording, motion recording, or both? if yes
  • Does it support motion recording?
  • What is included in the (Push notifications)? 
  • What is the best SD card for that purpose? How about this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07H9VX76D/
  • With 256 GB SD is it compatible? Will the Arlo Base Station read all the 256GB and make it usable?
  • With the 256 GB SD, how much video recording I should expect?

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@oabushaban wrote:
  • With the 256 GB SD, how much video recording I should expect?

The nominal bitrate is 3 mbps (which is 375 KB/second).  That would give you around 189 hours of recordings.  Normally you only get a few minutes per day per camera, so that's a lot of retention.

oabushaban
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen,

Is this calculation for the 4k quality?

And, can you assist with other questions?

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I've been using a 256 San Disk high endurance 4K for months and no issues.  4K quality was great until they took it away for not buying the elite plan.  Have never come close to filling even half of it with 7 cameras but I do pull it and delete occasionally since some have complained that the overwrite hasn't worked properly.  The one thing I did have to do was pick up a card reader that can handle 4K.  $30 no big deal.  My computer is about 4 years old and couldn't read it.  When looking at readers they will say "not for 4K on those that don't and 4K will be on those that do.

oabushaban
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks!

Is it contentious or motion based recording when using the local storage? And, are you in any paid plan in addition to your local SD? or, just SD with no paid plan?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@oabushaban wrote:

Is this calculation for the 4k quality?

Yes.

@oabushaban wrote:
  • Can I have 4k recorded on local storage? if yes,
  • Is it continuous recording, motion recording, or both? if yes

It will record 4K.  Only motion recordings, not continuous.

There are some constraints when viewing:  

• no thumbnails until you after you view the recording
  • no guest access to the library.
  • need to set up port forwarding if you are viewing when away from home.

Of course cloud activity zones are not available.

@oabushaban wrote:
  • What is included in the (Push notifications)? 

Just that motion detection was detected on the camera (and time).  No thumbnail.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

I am currently on the 2K plan which is why I no longer get 4K to my SD.  With no plan you will get 4K with the limitations Stephen pointed out.  The original free plan was 1080 cloud and 4K SD which is what I prefer, I don't really want 4K in the cloud.  Most RV places have crappy wi-fi and for me the cloud is just a quick look and my SD is for evidence if I need it.  I wouldn't have a problem paying the same as I am for 2K to go back to what it was.  Once I upgrade my ISP so I can use VPN I will probably just go the route your looking at.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation