Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 29 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Hoops
Guide
Guide

Hi Guys,

I woke up on the morning of the 17th of July (Australian EST) to see a heap of audio alerts for my internal cameras which have audio detection turned on (all my external cameras have audio detection off). All the recordings were 10 seconds long and at first I thought it must be wind and changed to my custom "wind mode" which reduces audio sensitivity but these alerts kept firing and then I realised it wasn't a windy morning either.

I have had the setup for almost 2 months and nothing like this had happened before. I thought to myself "something has definitely changed here" so I checked the release notes forum page and sure enough there had been an update overnight.

These alerts have continued since that point. It seems that when the base station is communicating with the cameras that it is causing the audio detection to trigger. For example, if i open the iOS app and go to the devices page it causes all my internal cameras to detect audio at once even though there is no sound in those rooms (i.e. no wind or anything that would cause it). If I open the Arlo portal on my PC the same thing happens. It also happens when changing between schedule modes - at 12:00am I have a schedule change from my custom "evening" mode to my custom "night" mode - so at 12:00am when the mode switch over occurred my internal cameras were triggered. So it seems to me that there is something in the update (possibly in relation to the camera wifi communication) which is causing the audio detection to fire unnecessarily.

I must reinforce that this is not an audio sensitivity issue. I have been tuning my cameras since I got them to get to the right level of audio sensitivity for internal cameras (i.e. garage, shed, alfresco) - I have turned off audio detection on all external cameras as there was too many false alarms (which is fine). The audio sensitivity is just right for me now and has been for the last 3 weeks. Also, it is easy for me to replicate the problem as I just go into the Arlo iOS App (or browser portal) and every time I do this I get a bunch of audio alerts with 10 second clips.

I am wondering if others are experiencing this problem and hoping it is acknowledged and fixed soon.

Regards,

Hoops

10 x Arlo Ultra Cameras & 2 Arlo Ultra Base Stations

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been resolved in the most recent firmware update for Arlo Ultra.

Please be sure your camera is up to date with the latest version and take a look at the release notes here: Arlo Ultra VMC5040 - 1.070.41.5_156_3372fbf - 29th August 2019

JamesC

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice

@JamesC

Hello,

After the recent Firmware upgrade to my Arlo Ultras (Firmware 1.070.41.1_80_9996bd9), it seems I am receiving endless notifications when the System is Armed and Sound Notifications are enabled for a noise being detected.

I have even set the sensitivity to 1 and I am still getting endless Sound defected notifications on my Arlo Ultras. I ended up turning off my Sound Notifications completely.

This was not and issue with the prior Firmware and I would just get a few normal Sound or Noise alerts that were appropriate for my sensitivity levels. Now just like Geofencing, this feature wasn’t broken..but now it is.

Can you please correct this so we don’t have another new problem to worry about.

Best,

D

jdchch
Aspirant
Aspirant

exact same issue here since the update - only affects my Ultra cameras, the pro/pro2's off the ultra hub aren't suffering the same false audio triggering

Gebuegeltehose
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

exactly the same problem for us.

Kind Regards

Gebuegeltehose
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

how did you disable the sound notifications?

Kind Regards

bugtrace
Initiate
Initiate

same for me, since July 17th this massive disturbing SW issue was introduced. The whole Ultra system is soooo full of bugs, unbelievable for this high price. Very slow fixing attitude by Arlo's SW guys. Being CEO myself in SW industry for more than 20 years, it is actually the worst experience I ever made with a new product, that calls itself "innovative" with bullish advertising. 

I would expect a very quick fix, but considering all the other pending and well described issues in the community (activity zones issues all over the place, never really worked, at least for me and a lot of others), very difficult RMA process (I had to replace already 2 out of my 5 cameras within the first half year) etc.

Arlo: PLEASE INVEST MORE IN YOUR SW TEAM AND FIX YOUR SOFTWARE SOON. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've opened and escalated a ticket on the reports of this issue. We're currently investigating these reports. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have these exact same issues - and in addition to false alarms at sound detection level 1 I am also having really choppy/terrible audio quality since the  cameras updated. I have another thread open about this...

@bugtrace you hit the nail on the head for all accords - thank you Jesus - there is someone else out there who is tech savvy and knows this total lack of any sort of knowledgeable software developers is literally killing this company - and otherwise decent hardware.

Bugs and crap to deal with are somewhat understandable - but its how they are dealt with is what is FAIL on the part of Arlo.... Its like clockwork: A support rep or forum rep gives the standard "we are looking into this, sorry for the trouble" response - then there's no update for 4 months.... Then you then call into support or use chat support - and they act like this issue has not been brought up before....

I've had a support ticket in for my pro 2 base station freezing and going offline for nearly 2 months now and never even received a response or update. There is a whole forum thread on this issue with 3,500 views and 350+ posts - and yet arlo "has not had this issue reported to them".... I bought the Pro 2 bundle in April and it worked flawlessly until 5/21 - forced firmware update ruins EVERYTHING and has not been addressed since.

I bought the Arlo Ultra's 2 weeks ago and they were actually working great. Ever since I synced all 5 of my pro 2's and the 2 Ultra's to the SmartHub there have been zero issues like there were with the Pro 2 hub..... Now the update the firmware on the cameras and the sound is bunk.

I mean.... is there any sort of testing that happens before a firmware is rolled out? Argh.... Another stupid issue that will take 6 months to fix ruining the functionality of a nearly $700 in brand new Ultras.

@JamesC we really appreciate your help and any updates. Sorry for the venting, but I'm quickly becoming a seasoned veteran in the geting burned by Arlo department..... Hoping to get this one fixed and be back on the straight and arrow..... minus a working Pro 2 base station, which I can live with if the SmartHub doesn't get bunk firmware at some point!

DadBod
Guide
Guide

Sigh, same issue here.

FAZZAMJF
Guide
Guide
Same issue with 6x Ultra Cameras (4 in house, 2 outside).

Also have BabyCam which is not affected.

Very quiet sound of a electrical buzz can be heard in the videos (but only just). It sometimes has a little lower “crack/pop” electrical sound which I guess triggers the armed cameras.

Temp fix = disable audio triggers.

Glad this is getting looked at. Started around the 17th for me, kept some recordings of it on the 18th but most were deleted (day I disabled audio triggers)

Noticed the Smart AI sometimes marks the trigger as “person”, more like a robot 😛

Looking forward to a fix!

FAZ
Gebuegeltehose
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

how can i disable able the audio triggers?

Thank You

Kind Regards

FAZZAMJF
Guide
Guide
In IOS version of the app I did this...
1. Open Arlo App
2. Go to “Mode” (at bottom)
3. Press on the pencil icon on the right side of the mode you wish to edit (eg “Armed”)
4. Under “Rules” for each camera that is “If Motion and Audio on...” press the pencil icon to edit settings (you have to do this for each camera)
5. Uncheck the box next to “Audio is detected”
6. Press “Save” (top right)
7. Repeat for each camera you have audio triggers for (plus other rules
8. Press done to saved the mode profile.

Reverse this process to turn on audio detection again (once Arlo fix the firmware).

Hope this helps,

FAZ
Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
I do not have audio triggers enabled and I’m am still getting unbearably bad audio.

I’ve also pulled batteries, removed, factory reset, and resynced both cameras to my base.

Nothing has fixed it - once again terrible half-baked firmware that screws things up from Arlo.....

I’ve officially concluded I am a sucker for punishment giving this company my money.
FAZZAMJF
Guide
Guide
I’ve not check live viewing or manual recordings. But I would expect the sound issues will likely still be present during both until the firmware fix.

I’m going to double check stuff at the weekend when I have time but I don’t think any resets will work, only firmware rollback (if that was possible).

It very much sucks but at least James pushes it up the queue a little.

This is the world we now live in where companies rush stuff out and hope run a much quicker dev to live process. Or as I call it... act and think later development 🙂

FAZ
Mr-Yupiii
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, do you have any update regarding the Arlo Ultra sound detection issue?
dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice
@JamesC

Hello, as numerous users above are asking, I am too asking the same question. Is there an update for the Arlo Ultra Sound Detection issue since the last firmware update that broke it? I know you said you were going to open a ticket and get the issue escalated, but I haven’t seen or heard an update in the issue from you since.

Please update us all.

Best,

D
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is still investigating this issue. I don't have an ETA but a fix is being worked on. I will provide any new information as soon as I know more.

JamesC

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

Trying to follow all these sound issue threads so that I can see if we ever get a fix. This audio is terrible!!!

Mjbeuke
Apprentice
Apprentice
You couldn’t hear something clearly if you needed to.... it’s bad!

Don’t hold your breath for a quick fix....
dj3w3ll1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello @JamesC 

Any Update on this particular issue? I tried turning on Audio Alerts today, just to see if any recent Firmware updates to my Ultra Camera's/Base Station have resolved this, and it seems it is still occuring.  Audio Alerts kept pouring in, one after another, not recording anything, so I turned them back off.

Please let us know.

Best,

- D

alanbo1234
Tutor
Tutor

Haven't followed the thread recently. I haven't bothered to turn sound back on, as I don't usually need it

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been resolved in the most recent firmware update for Arlo Ultra.

Please be sure your camera is up to date with the latest version and take a look at the release notes here: Arlo Ultra VMC5040 - 1.070.41.5_156_3372fbf - 29th August 2019

JamesC

FAZZAMJF
Guide
Guide
Woohoo... only one issue...

Checking my cameras firmware says “no updates available”. Firmware version reported as v1.070.41.1_80_9996bd9.

How long until it’s available to download?

~FAZ~
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

FAZZAMJF,

You might try rebooting your SmartHub to see if the firmware update becomes available after a restart.

The firmware update should complete on it's own overnight as long as signal strength is good and the battery is charged.

JamesC

FAZZAMJF
Guide
Guide
Perfect! Firmware now updated, now to enable the sound triggers again on all cameras and see the results.

TY James!

~FAZ~
Discussion stats
  • 29 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation