Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
terra3110
Follower
Follower

Hi,

I am in the process to check if I can replace my Nest Monitoring System with an Arlo System and some questions show up, that I was not able to find out:

I see a Wireless Station named ARLO_VMB_XXXXXXXXXXX. I guess that is the Hub. Did this has to be visible or is their a switch, that the Station did not broadcast its SSID. At least after setup all Cameras, it should not be necessary. 

It seems the Cameras connect via WiFi to the Station, with the usual limitation on distances. My property is wide and the building is based on metal material. Another Building is connected via Wifi Bridges. I have a number of WiFi Extender distributed, so everywhere is good reception. Is there a way, that a Camera connects to one of the Extender WiFi Stations, it seems they did not. In this case, I would need a 2nd Hub for the Second Building, maybe even a 3rd Hub to get everything connected. That would raise the costs dramatically compared to Nest. 

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@terra3110 wrote:

. Is there a way, that a Camera connects to one of the Extender WiFi Stations, it seems they did not. In this case, I would need a 2nd Hub for the Second Building, maybe even a 3rd Hub to get everything connected. That would raise the costs dramatically compared to Nest. 

The ultras do connect to the smarthub.  So you would need more base stations (which would need to connect to your home network via ethernet).

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@StephenB wrote:

The ultras do connect to the smarthub.  So you would need more base stations (which would need to connect to your home network via ethernet).

That would be:

router <> long cable <> remote base station

You can use also a wifi extender/repeater to bridge the gap between a remote hub and the main router.

router <> wifi <> extender/repeater <> short cable <> remote base station

A further option would be

router <> Powerline Ethernet <> remote base station

But that depends on having a suitable mains circuit.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation