Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
bradleyp
Guide
Guide

I have my smarthub set to record videos locally. Videos are being recorded locally AND being uploaded to the cloud. That seems like a problem.

11 REPLIES 11
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bradleyp,

Arlo is a cloud based system. The behavior you describe here is expected. Local storage is designed as a back up to cloud storage and cannot be used as a substitute for this. For more information, take a look here: How do I enable or disable local storage of Arlo video recordings on a USB device?

JamesC

bradleyp
Guide
Guide

Hi James,

So I want to turn off uploading to the cloud altogether in favor of using my local USB or SD card storage. Is that a feature that could fit into Arlo's roadmap?

/Bradley

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

bradleyp,

While we're always considering new ways to improve Arlo and make it accessible to all users, the system is designed first with the cloud in mind and local storage as an optional backup. I will pass your feedback along to the development team for consideration.

JamesC

bradleyp
Guide
Guide

Specifically I want to do this for two reasons...

1) It seems like EVERY website gets hacked eventually. I don't want recordings of inside or outside my home being leaked out on the Internet.

2) I'm limited to a certain amount of bandwidth every month through our ISP, and lately I've been exceeding my quota which means additional overage fees. Arlo video may or may not be contributing to that, but I'd like to stop uploads so I can be sure.

Just FYI, it's not obvious in the setup of the Local Storage that recordings will still be sent to the cloud. It should be.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bradleyp wrote:

Just FYI, it's not obvious in the setup of the Local Storage that recordings will still be sent to the cloud. It should be.

In the specific case of the Ultra, the recordings are sent to the cloud because you still have a trial subscription.  When that expires, the video will only be saved locally.

So perhaps the next step is to cancel the trial subscription.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

What StephenB suggests here could be a viable solution in this specific scenario. Note that cancelling the free 1 year trial for the Premier subscription will result in the loss of Arlo Smart features and cloud recordings (without an active Arlo smart subcription, no Ultra recordings will be uploaded to the cloud but local storage will still be active if enabled). Once canceled, the free 1 year trial cannot be redeemed again.

JamesC

bradleyp
Guide
Guide

By "Ultra", do you mean the 5000 version of the smarthub?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bradleyp wrote:

By "Ultra", do you mean the 5000 version of the smarthub?

I mean the ultra camera.  What camera do you have?

bradleyp
Guide
Guide

three of the Arlo Pro 2

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bradleyp wrote:

three of the Arlo Pro 2

Those include 7-day free cloud recording, and there is no way to disable that.  You could create an idea on the idea exchange to create an option to disable cloud recordings if local storage is enabled.

bradleyp
Guide
Guide

I just posted it to the idea exchange. It has been asked before by others as well.

Thank you for your responses to this thread. I don't consider it "resolved" to my satisfaction, but I think we've done all we can here for now.

Thanks again!

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation