Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Questions on New Arlo Camera Purchase

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
syrutuwro
Follower
Follower

Hi, I have 5 camera Arlo Pro setup with a VMB4000r3 base which I have been using for 6 years now.

I am looking at upgrading (using the 50% off EoL promotion from Arlo), I have a few questions:

- I am interested in Ultra 2. I have seen some reviews on this camera that are about 2 years old. Is this an old model? Is there going to be an upgrade soon? Does it make sense to pull the trigger on it now?

- Is the only way to get a 5 camera setup to order the bundle with 4 cameras and add an 'add on camera' ?

- Do I have to sign up for the monthly subscription? I need to be able to set up schedules, the cameras to notify me when there's motion and be able to pull up recordings on my phone (ideally up to 7 days). Can I do this using local storage on the base station?

- If the answer to previous question is YES, what does monthly subscription get me?

Appreciate the help.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Check the date on the EoL promotion.  My understanding is that the discounts ended in July.

@syrutuwro wrote:

- I am interested in Ultra 2. I have seen some reviews on this camera that are about 2 years old. Is this an old model? Is there going to be an upgrade soon? Does it make sense to pull the trigger on it now?

Arlo doesn't pre-announce, so no idea on when/if they will roll out a new 4K camera.

@syrutuwro wrote:

- Do I have to sign up for the monthly subscription? I need to be able to set up schedules, the cameras to notify me when there's motion and be able to pull up recordings on my phone (ideally up to 7 days). Can I do this using local storage on the base station?

Pulling up local recordings on your phone requires a VMB4540 or a VMB5000 smarthub.  It also has a lot of limitations:

• Recordings only available from the primary account, not friend accounts
  • Recordings only available from the app (can't be accessed from my.arlo.com)
  • No ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  • No thumbnails  - videos need to be downloaded to the phone and then played to see anything.
  • Remote access requires router setting changes that many find difficult (and which don't work or aren't available with some internet service providers)

While many here do use this feature instead of a subscription, IMO it is a poor user experience.

@syrutuwro wrote:

what does monthly subscription get me?

In addition to cloud storage, the subscription gives you

• activity zones
  • smart notifications
  • access to Arlo support

Note you could add one or two Ultra 2 cameras to your existing setup - they are compatible with your base.  You would need a subscription, since the VMB4000 doesn't support local storage. 

Also, if you ever have more then 6 unsubscribed cameras in your account, you will lose the free cloud storage you get today with the Pro cameras.  So if you add Ultras and leave all your Pro cameras in your account, then you'd need to get the multi-camera subscription when the trial on the Ultras ends.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation