Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Questions about Arlo 4K Ultra

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ChrisBaines
Tutor
Tutor

Hi would love some advice on the new Arlo 4K cameras! Can they:

a) Work with Apple Homekit

b) Access live streaming without a subscription

c) Allow access to recorded footage on the SD card remotely

d) Is there a limit on the number of cameras per base station / hub? I want 8x 4K cameras but would also like to add the Arlo Baby camera to it as well.

Many thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Hello ChrisBaines, hope this helps I’ll go in order.
1.apple HomeKit is coming, it’s not here yet but they are launching towards 2nd half of 2019!
2.without subscription you can live stream, manual record, take a snapshot and use the two way talk with the cameras.
3.acess to local recordings is coming in 2nd half of 2019 and one sd card can support 5 cameras
4. The limit on the sd card is 5 cameras, with the lowest sub plan which is 10 a month, you can put up to 10 cams and have 30day cloud video history. And Arlo Baby and Arlo Q don’t go towards your camera count on your base station, so if you only got 4 cams , your baby cam wouldn’t be the 5th to count it’s standalone.
Hope this helped, feel free to ask anymore questions

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
Hello ChrisBaines, hope this helps I’ll go in order.
1.apple HomeKit is coming, it’s not here yet but they are launching towards 2nd half of 2019!
2.without subscription you can live stream, manual record, take a snapshot and use the two way talk with the cameras.
3.acess to local recordings is coming in 2nd half of 2019 and one sd card can support 5 cameras
4. The limit on the sd card is 5 cameras, with the lowest sub plan which is 10 a month, you can put up to 10 cams and have 30day cloud video history. And Arlo Baby and Arlo Q don’t go towards your camera count on your base station, so if you only got 4 cams , your baby cam wouldn’t be the 5th to count it’s standalone.
Hope this helped, feel free to ask anymore questions
ChrisBaines
Tutor
Tutor

Thats perfect! Really appreciate the great reply. Last couple of questions I promise!

Re the max of 5 cameras per SD card, would this limit still apply if I plug in an external hard drive? I want 8 of them, but really dont want 2 hubs, and I have no interest in paying a subscription. Thats why Im happy to pay a premium for top quality camera that have the ability to record locally. 

My other question or concern is that, you say Apple HomeKit and accessing recordings is coming later in the year... Is this a definate? Ive known compaines to say things like this then delay and delay... I am almost tempted to hold off buying them until the funtionality is released. The HomeKit issue for example usually reqiuires a code, that is included with products. If you already have the products then how would Arlo enable HomeKit in a future update?

Thanks again, big help

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not aware of a limitation of 5 cameras per SD card - doesn't sound right but I could be wrong.

I do know that on the older bases there was a limit of 5 cameras simultaneously streaming which is a different issue although that limitation would also boil down to how many are being recorded on the SD card.

Cwmmmm
Luminary
Luminary
I just went and checked and I see no proof of my statement only supporting 5 cams on local storage, sorry for the wrong information. I’m not sure where I am read that awhile back.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No problem - we all need correcting at times.  As it's said, I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken...  🙂

ChrisBaines
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks everyone, you guys are great. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation