Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mauijer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo announced that local storage would be possible for those who choose not to pay a monthly subscription (AKA the reason many of us picked Arlo in the first place). However, instructions are vague and probably intentionally lacking on details in order to promote subscription payments. Arlo states portforwarding opens us up to hackers and with recent stories of such I am opposed to that. However, the suggestion to use VPN is not always available apparently as not every router has this capability? Has anyone successfully set up a VPN for Arlo for the Ultra system? I am trying to access via an Iphone when not on the local network without success.

I have also noticed and would like confirmation about features available to authorized users. My wife has an Iphone X which worked better for initial Ultra setup so she is considered the primary and I have been added as an authorized user with my Iphone SE. When on the subscription plan my control was limited in some regards but now I am noticing more problems. On the primary users app "direct storage access" can be selected as well as "port forwarding" can be selected (but doesn't work). However, as an authorized user I cannot turn on "direct storage access"--when I press the toggle it immediately turns back off. Is this intentional?

As it stands, remote direct storage access sounds like just another false advertisement made by Arlo to buy time and dissuade customers from returning their product within their return policy timeline.

How can I enable direct storage access for both myself and my wife?

Can someone better explain how to set up VPN successfully?

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mauijer wrote:

Can someone better explain how to set up VPN successfully?

What router do you have?

mauijer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Stephen, Thanks for responding.

I have a "Netgear N600 Wifi Cable Modem Router with Dual Band Gigabit"

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mauijer wrote:

I have a "Netgear N600 Wifi Cable Modem Router with Dual Band Gigabit"

Ok - likely a C3700 gateway.  Unfortunately that doesn't have built-in VPN.

If you were to upgrade to an Orbi CBR40 gateway, you'd be able to use the OpenVPN service that it provides. 

The Nighthawk gateways also have OpenVPN, but you'd need to make sure they are compatible with your ISP:  https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/cable-modem-routers/

Both the Orbi and the Nighthawks would also give you faster wifi.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation