Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Happy_12
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having issues with cameras jumping from poor to weak to good signaling without any movement of any equipment? Sometimes it takes long time to access a camera or it states it cannot connect, wants me to check connections and internet. I have no issues with internet and upgraded cable internet service to avoid problems. Additionally my HUB will jump from blinking orange to solid blue without any change in anything, including internet connection. It is blinking orange most of the time. I have been watching the lighting of the HUB which seems to make no difference with the signal strength of the cameras. I do not know how to upgrade firmware but also, from what I read, more problems with upgrade and major problems with any response from any real people. I have two homes and two systems and must get this resolved before one year warranty. I would return both systems if problems with support, firmware upgrades and general work-ability of system.  Thank you for any help from anyone. 

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What you describe sounds like a signal problem between the hub and camera. This can be caused by various things such as distance, number of walls/ceilings the signal passes through, house construction, metallic objects in the straight-line path between devices, interference from other wireless devices, etc. Try moving the camera closer to the hub to see if that helps. If so, repositioning the camera and/or hub may easily help.

Where is the camera, what's the distance to the hub and what is the construction of the house?

Happy_12
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat I purchased a kit from Costco less than a year ago. I actually purchased two kits for two homes. Thank you for responding. I have model VMS5541C-100NAS. Not sure if purposely designed for Costco? I have played with placement of cameras in different places including a couple feet away from the Hub. As I write this email the light on the Hub has changed from solid blue to blinking orange.  The house is well constructed, with cement tile roof but wood and stucco interior walls. The cameras worked fine when I first set up the cameras, never great but OK. Long time to connect but connected.  I have tried all of the normal troubleshooting tricks, moving some of the cameras within a couple feet of the Hub. Still problems. I have high speed internet without issues. A number of wireless devices many of which I have disconnected thinking there could be interference. I have a couple blue tooth devices that have also been disconnected for any possible interference. There seems to be an issue with the software or firmware? I do not see any location on the website to upgrade but from what I read in community blog that poses problems. Thank you for any assistance. What is the problem with Arlo follow up service? Never a follow up response to anything? Very frustrating. I will have to return to Costco for refund if no correction from Arlo. I also have to let Costco know of the problems with service. Too bad, for what could be a good product. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Happy_12 wrote:

What is the problem with Arlo follow up service? Never a follow up response to anything?

Did you contact customer support?  Or just post here (in the community forum). 

Customer support contact info is here:  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx  Just ignore the link back to the community.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Stucco is an issue, given the wire mesh used to support it. Think of it as a Faraday cage throughout the house. I wouldn't think that would be an issue for cameras close to the hub but I have no way to test.

Unfortunately, the only way to persevere with support is to continue to bug them and to try to get help here in this user forum.

LandJS
Mentor
Mentor

Unfortunately with the Ultra hub there are a ton of signal strength issues, can you get it working, usually but it still sucks.  I have two wi-fi systems with 0 issues anywhere on my property.  The Arlo struggles sometimes at 20 feet.  Yes you can move it, move the cameras, raise it higher.  The stucco, glass, walls etc can affect it yes but if the only system that struggles is the Arlo hub then it's not rocket science, the quality of the hub is not the greatest and only an improved product will change it.

Happy_12
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you so much for responding. It is helpful to hear others with similar problems. I am computer literate and so frustrating when you do everything right, restate, reset, reactive, move cameras, etc and still issues. In the last hour with no change in weather, camera locations, or hub location, the lights goes from blinking orange to solid blue. It has to be a strength issue. One has to wonder why! I am going to experiment with a booster hub, several in different locations and maybe outside. This is my next attempt to resolve the signal problems. I have Comcast with strength signal coming into the Comcast Hub. Hopefully Arlo is listening to somebody for further improvements to what could be a great product. Thanks again. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation