Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Endoman
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am considering purchasing an arlo system. I have several sites with cat 7 PoE in place. I understand an advantage of these systems is that they can be wireless however, I have several "distant" locations that have physical barriers that may impede wireless connectivity, and locations that do not lend themselves to easy access to reach the rechargable battery. I'm also a "wired kind of guy" when it comes to my security cameras. The cat 7 PoE locations do NOT have alternative power sources so plugging into a power outlet is not an option. I am having difficulty locating information on the website that tells me definitively what options are compatible with my set-up. I believe I am interested in the features of the Ultra but with direct Ethernet connection perhaps a lesser model would suffice. I would appreciate any guidance as to what systems are compatible with PoE (including whether the Ethernet connection only supplies power or, in the case of arlo systems, connection to a PoE Ethernet cable allows connectivity to my network for the video feed as well - I assume it would but . . .). Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Endoman wrote:

I am considering purchasing an arlo system. I have several sites with cat 7 PoE in place. I understand an advantage of these systems is that they can be wireless however, I have several "distant" locations that have physical barriers that may impede wireless connectivity, and locations that do not lend themselves to easy access to reach the rechargable battery. I'm also a "wired kind of guy" when it comes to my security cameras. The cat 7 PoE locations do NOT have alternative power sources so plugging into a power outlet is not an option. I am having difficulty locating information on the website that tells me definitively what options are compatible with my set-up. I believe I am interested in the features of the Ultra but with direct Ethernet connection perhaps a lesser model would suffice. I would appreciate any guidance as to what systems are compatible with PoE (including whether the Ethernet connection only supplies power or, in the case of arlo systems, connection to a PoE Ethernet cable allows connectivity to my network for the video feed as well - I assume it would but . . .). Thank you.

I share your affinity for wired connections.  I use a lot of Axis POE cameras.  They range from reasonably priced to extremely expensive and everywhere in between.  Also there are so many models, it can be a challenge to find the model that is “just right” for your needs.  However, they are reliable and high quality.  Also Axis cameras record locally on a micro SD card or on a separate network video recorder like the Axis Camera Companion which is an 8 port POE switch and NVR in one 8” x 8” box.  If you are specifically looking for cloud recording, Axis can do that also.  But their solutions take a bit more knowledge to set up and require a Windows PC to run their Camera Companion software.  They also don’t have the exact same out of the box camera behavior controls we get with Arlo...specifically geofencing and cross camera rules.  They do have schedules.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Only the Arlo Q Plus cameras support PoE and are indoor-rated. None of the wireless cameras would be able to use the Ethernet connection for any reason.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Endoman wrote:

I share your affinity for wired connections.  I use a lot of Axis POE cameras.  They range from reasonably priced to extremely expensive and everywhere in between.  Also there are so many models, it can be a challenge to find the model that is “just right” for your needs.  However, they are reliable and high quality.  Also Axis cameras record locally on a micro SD card or on a separate network video recorder like the Axis Camera Companion which is an 8 port POE switch and NVR in one 8” x 8” box.  If you are specifically looking for cloud recording, Axis can do that also.  But their solutions take a bit more knowledge to set up and require a Windows PC to run their Camera Companion software.  They also don’t have the exact same out of the box camera behavior controls we get with Arlo...specifically geofencing and cross camera rules.  They do have schedules.

Endoman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you

Endoman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the information, it was very helpful and I appreciate your specificity as I am a Mac only household.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Endoman wrote:

Thank you for the information, it was very helpful and I appreciate your specificity as I am a Mac only household.

I am almost exclusively Mac and iOS also.  There are just a few tools that I use that don’t have Mac versions, so I’ve submitted to having a PC notebook for those apps.  I also run VMware Fusion on my MacBook Pro, so I can run windows on my Mac, if I wish.  But it does add cost.

Axis has a mobile app for iOS and TVOS...so I can watch my cameras actively on any of my TVs that have an Apple TV connected to them.  And I can administer them the cameras the built-in web interface in the cameras.  I just find it easier to use their companion software for this.

I wish Axis would write a Mac version.  It would definitely make life simpler.

Endoman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Again, thank you, you have provided substantial information. I too run Windows in paralell for some business apps that unfortunately do not have OS versions. It may be the route I have to go here to get what I want. Thank you for providing a sound path to investigate.

AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

You are very welcome.  Good luck!  

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation