Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Outdoor Mount Theft Prevention

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
drabbitgon
Tutor
Tutor

I just bought the Arlo Ultra to use as an outdoor camera. I didn't realize that the "kit" doesn't come with an outdoor mount and need to buy one. However, I'd like to understand how the outdoor mount works. It seems someone could just unscrew it and take it? I'm more concerned about how easy it would be for someone to steal the camera as well as taking it down as it would be in a place where someone 6' tall could reach.

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@drabbitgon wrote:

However, I'd like to understand how the outdoor mount works. It seems someone could just unscrew it and take it?

Yes.  It's a standard camera mount, and the camera just screws into it.

I don't know of any mounting system for Arlo that provides physical security.  

Kammfam
Luminary
Luminary

Yep, not even a full turn of the camera, and it pops right off. I don't know why they call them "security" mounts. It's really not any more secure than the magnet mount.

drabbitgon
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, you would think Arlo could have designed an OUTDOOR mount where the screw that held the camera to the mount was screwed in from the inside and then mounted to the wall to at least make it difficult for people to try to steal or take off...

drabbitgon
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. As suspected...not very secure.

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

There is nothing special about the thread that Arlo uses on cameras. You are not limited to branded mounts. Any secure fitting would work. They generally cost a heap less than Arlo branded stuff.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

And if really concerned, the best mounting is out of normal reach....

Even if the camera is hard to remove from the mount ( thread lock compound )they can always rip the entire mount off if really wanted... people even steal cars too.

But, Be aware that Arlo does have a thief program... if the original owner has it stolen and a police report is filed ,Arlo will / can replace it if the procedure ifs followed correctly

https://kb.arlo.com/000056563/What-do-I-need-to-know-about-the-Arlo-Theft-Replacement-program

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation