Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor

After downloading your new app 3.5.1. I no longer have access to my SD card. I tried rebooting my phone rebooting the base station reconfiguring my port forwarding and nothing works. What did you do with the new app that broke the system again. Sounds like you updated the app once again without fully testing it. I've had Arlo for years and this is not the first time I've seen you people break the system will you ever learn

69 REPLIES 69
izineela
Initiate
Initiate
Same issue here and it is not the first time this happened after an update.
I am upgrading my security system and it is definitely not going to be arlo.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

It is a bug in the Android app (3.5.1, released on 20 July).  It is possible to side-load the old app, though you have to also prevent it from being updated again.

Or eject the storage, and connect it to a PC until Arlo fixes it.

Johnh49
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ultra 2 Cameras. I agree the lag time is extremely disappointing. I have cameras receiving a very good signal, (small single storey house) and i also find at time that the lag varies. I'm using an Android device. I expected better.

Also frustrated that I have to remove my SD Card (256Gb) from the Smart hub to view recordings on the PC. So it begs the question how will I know when the SD card is full? because I don't trust the Arlo software to tell me, having read the multiple comments about it on the forum.

Johnh49
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ultra 2 cameras. AND.... it lags when trying to view a notification so it is effectively going live, because I have not taken up the subscription, and cannot see anything that my SD card has recorded. Arlo are shooting themselves in the foot by trying to force all Users onto a subscription service.

My son has an early version of Arlo with no subscription required, and easy access to local storage via mobile phone and a quick go-live to view what's happening.

It was on that basis that I decided to purchase arlo as his setup was excellent. I did not realise that taking the latest setup would have all these issues. It is really is unacceptable.

So Arlo have taken themselves back a step or two. You would think that when so many of us are complaining they would start to listen.

THEY HAVE NOT IMPROVED THE PRODUCT BY TRYING TO FORCE SUBSCRIPTION, AND TAKING AWAY FUNCTIONALITY. MY SYSTEM COST $2000 in AUS (3 Ultra 2 cameras and a Pro 3 Floodlight plus 3 Solar Panels). NOT HAPPY arlo !!!

philip_rhoades
Guide
Guide

This situation is going from BAD to WORSE !

I uninstalled the current Android version, side-loaded the older version from APK and yes, the videos were then viewable on the SD Card - but NO NEW videos are being recorded!

This is a disaster !!  - and fuels even more suspicion that all these crap problems with the SD Card is merely deliberate, infuriating crippling to force people to pay for the cloud option . . 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@philip_rhoades wrote:

I uninstalled the current Android version, side-loaded the older version from APK and yes, the videos were then viewable on the SD Card - but NO NEW videos are being recorded!

New videos should be recorded (and the app wouldn't have anything to do with it, unless you used it to disarm the cameras).

Have you double-checked that the cameras are armed, and that the mode includes making a recording when motion is detected?

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Johnh49 wrote:

Also frustrated that I have to remove my SD Card (256Gb) from the Smart hub to view recordings on the PC. So it begs the question how will I know when the SD card is full? because I don't trust the Arlo software to tell me, having read the multiple comments about it on the forum.

Not sure if you read the many post here that a Bug was introduced in the lasted Android App 3.5.1. that is preventing access to Local Storage. Arlo is aware and working on it. IOS is fine. 

Edit: Just saw this was merged. 

DJArlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Despite posts here that indicate that the developers are aware of a bug in 3.5.1, Arlo Support knows nothing about it.  As recommended here, I put in a ticket to up the pressure.  Waste of time!  See below.

"After updating to Android App version 3.5.1 on July 21, 2021, library access to local storage recordings is unavailable. Restarting Android and base station has no effect. "

Replies:

Please uninstall the app and reinstall it back again. Can you also check the recordings using another device such as a pc or a laptop?

I understand that you have a concern with the access to the videos stored in the local storage after updating the app on your Android device.

To ensure that everything is working and to isolate the issue, please complete the following steps:

1. If the issue continues after uninstalling and reinstalling the app, disable Direct Access Storage and safely remove the USB storage from the SmartHub. 
  2. Check using a computer if the videos are saved on the flash drive. 
  3. Afterward please insert back the drive to the SmartHub and enable Direct Access Storage. Manually trigger motion and check the video is saved either saved on the cloud or the local storage. 

Additionally, I'd like to know if you received notifications from the recordings you need to access? Try to use a different smartphone to access the local storage library. Also, are you accessing the library of the Direct Access storage using your home network? Do you have added a VPN on your router or have you allowed port forwarding when you are outside the home network?

For more information on the requirements and setting up Direct access storage please check this link: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

For us to check further please provide the following:

• Screenshot of the Library when you access the videos. 
  • Is there an error message when you try to access the videos in the Library? If there is an error please take a screenshot. 
  • Screenshot of the settings for Direct Access Storage. 
  • What is the make and model of the smartphone used to access the account?
  • What is the OS version of the smartphone?
  • Best contact number. 

If the steps provided above did not bring any resolution, kindly detail the results or behavior of the system after performing the said steps on your response so that we can proceed accordingly.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Why don't you uninstall the app and roll back to up 323 app and everything works fine. I have had Arlo for years. I've seen these irresponsible engineers break the system many times it often takes about 3 weeks before they fix it they have no sense of urgency
ARLO1776
Guide
Guide

Hey Johnny,

Great idea to uninstall the new and useless 3.51 app and install the older app .  My tech support guy (one of the few useful techs)  acknowledged the issue that we can't access the local library.  Sadly, He didn't know when a fix would become available.  How can I find the older app ? 

I addition, I have tried to call Arlo even reach out to someone at the company via investor relations, but I have yet to be referred to a live body at corporate.   The people that run ARLO are ruining the company.  In the interim they should provide us with free cloud service like other were in the past . Thanks in advance.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Once again the idiots at the Arlo team updated and the app without testing it and now people can't access their recordings. When will these idiots learn to test things out before they release them to the public I've seen this many times
ARLO1776
Guide
Guide

David you are spot on !  local storage stopped working again on or about July 21st and I am unable to fix it ! I am angry this has happened several times and I do not use the cloud I strongly suspect they are trying to pressure us to migrate to this cloud.  This is totally unacceptable !  ARLO should provide a roll back link in the interim.   Another user was kind enough to post the earlier version, but I'm not interested in PC access and I don't know how to do it by phone.  

ARLO software engineers, please fix the app and our access to local storage, we don't want to subscribe to the cloud , unless it's free.  This has happened so often, it's totally unacceptable.  Please listen to your customers and DO THE RIGHT THING : kindly offer us free 10 day cloud storage or something similiar,  please.

ARLO1776
Guide
Guide

I share your frustration,  I spent all Sunday trying to do a reinstall etc.    ARLO software engineers, please fix the local storage access problem that has been ongoing since July 21, please !

88Gabe
Star
Star
Utterly incompetent and it's not the staff but their management team needs to go and they need to be reported.
philip_rhoades
Guide
Guide

> The people that run ARLO are ruining the company.  In the interim they should provide us with free cloud service like other were in the past . 

Exactly!

philip_rhoades
Guide
Guide

ARLO software engineers, please fix the app and our access to local storage, we don't want to subscribe to the cloud , unless it's free.  This has happened so often, it's totally unacceptable.  Please listen to your customers and DO THE RIGHT THING : kindly offer us free 10 day cloud storage or something similiar,  please.

Yes!

philip_rhoades
Guide
Guide

Utterly incompetent and it's not the staff but their management team needs to go and they need to be reported.

See my post re OPEN SOURCING - but if they don't do that then we should definitely do what you say . .

philip_rhoades
Guide
Guide

> New videos should be recorded (and the app wouldn't have anything to do with it, unless you used it to disarm the cameras).

> Have you double-checked that the cameras are armed, and that the mode includes making a recording when motion is detected?

Yes! - you are correct - but why would I consciously disarm the the device?! - it would defeat the purpose of having it in the first place - it seems to have been disarmed when I uninstalled the new app and sideloaded the old app . . 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We released a new version of the Arlo Android app, which is version 3.5.2 and it should fix this issue. Please update to the latest version of the app.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Ridiculous that it's taken you over a week after an initial release. This should have been fixed the following day. Calling Arlo a security system is a misnomer. It's a toy.