Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

NEW Installation questions - 4K Streaming & Smart Plan

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
oabushaban
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Been searching the forums with no luck to get definite answers.

I have one challenge and one question.

I just purchased and configured Arlo Ultra (3 cameras bundle), comes with 1 year premier plan (2k video quality). My challenge is that I can't stream 4k quality video. Although, 4k Local streaming is enabled, I have my mobile and cameras on the same network, connection quality test between the Home-Base and Cameras is "strong", and tried both the 120 and 150 degrees angel. The live streaming is showing me 4k icon, but there is no way it's a 4k quality not even a 2k). Neither you can read plate numbers (20 feet from the camera) or any closer object.

My question, Is there an annual (Smart Plan - Elite) price? It says CAD19.99 (up to 5 cameras) / monthly.

This translates to hefty total cost of ownership (CAD 240 / Annual). Especially if I compare it with the new Google Nest Aware, they just introduced CAD 80 annual for the entire Home that includes unlimited google devices .

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9546397

4 REPLIES 4
oabushaban
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE:

I was chatting with Arlo Support. They gave me weird answer.

My Premier Subscription (1 year free), is an old Premier Plan and doesn't support 4k Streaming. I told the agent it's brand new Arlo Camera kit, with no luck to get. I feel Arlo is pushing their customers to get into expensive subscriptions. Definitely a NO NO.

Did anyone run into something similar? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

They re-did the subscriptions last December, and your camera kit predates that.

In the original scheme, Premier handled up to 10 cameras at 1080p.  You needed to purchase an add-on called PVR ("premium video recording") to get 4K.  That cost $2.00 per month per camera.

If you have 5 or fewer cameras, then the new pricing for 4K is about the same (or a bit cheaper) than the old plan.  If you have a lot of cameras, then the new pricing is definitely more expensive.

oabushaban
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks! I don't think it's the case or I may don't get it right.

The current free plan that comes with Arlo ultra is (Smart Premier), seems to get the 2k or 4k I need to go for a higher plan Like Premier (2k) or Elite (4k). The Elite is at CAD 19.99 / Monthly for up to 5 cameras.

Is there anything else or something I am missing?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@oabushaban wrote:

The current free plan that comes with Arlo ultra is (Smart Premier), seems to get the 2k or 4k

At launch, the 10 camera smart premier trial subscription did not include PVR (4K).  2K wasn't available at all, because the Pro3 camera wasn't yet launched.  At least that's the way I remember it.  Note I am talking about cloud recording - not live streaming.

I don't recall CAD pricing.  US pricing was $99 annually for Premier back then.  PVR might have had an annual rate too, but I don't know what it was.  Definitely the per-camera  monthly price for PVR was $1.99 per month.  So to get 4K for 5 cameras would have cost $218.40.  Elite for 5 cameras now is $179.88.  So 4K actually cheaper if you have 5 cameras.

With 3 cameras, the old plan would have been $170.64 paid annually for 4K, compared to $179.88 for the new plan that has to paid monthly.  So slightly more.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation