Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm frustrated by the lack of motion detection and video recording on the Arlo Ultra.  I have the latest firmware on the hub and cameras.  This is my first Arlo camera.  I have it mounted to the front of my house and have the full view of the front yard, driveway, street, and houses across the street.  I setup zones to detect motion and record on my front yard, all the way to the street (about 40 ft from camera) and to the side property lines.  I changed the motion sensitivity to 100. No motion gets detected and no video recording unless I walk directly in front of the camera... within 10 ft or so.  Cars can come and go in my driveway, you can walk all around my yard... nothing.  My Nest camera installed in the same manner will detect and record all of that.  I can even add a zone to the Arlo to detect the street and nothing is detected as cars and people go by.

Can the Arlo Ultra not detect motion anywhere in the video range?  Can it only detect a few feet right in front of the camera?  Or do I have a defective camera?  I'm confused.  As is, the camera is worthless to me as I have a Nest doorbell camera that will record what the Arlo is only doing right now.

6 REPLIES 6
zincyellowcobra
Luminary
Luminary

I am having problems with motion detection as well and I do not think it is an isolated incident. I believe this is a bug with the new Ultra cameras.  I have 15 Arlo Pro 2 cams and LOVE them. I’m running Pro 2 and Ultra cams side by side testing the motion detection variances.  All four of the Ultra cams have the exact same motion detection deficiencies. I’m hugely disappointed. 

addertay
Apprentice
Apprentice
My motion detection seemed to be less sensitive since the update. Have a camera that has not moved and it's now picking up people walking past it much less frequently.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

It sounds like the motion you're trying to detect could be outside the cameras range. Arlo Ultra motion detection is adjustable up to 25 feet. While motion outside 25 feet can intermittently be detected, it would likely be inconsistent.

One thing you can try to help with motion detection is to position the camera so that the motion you are trying to detect moves across the field of view rather than directly toward the camera. This may help as the PIR motion detection works better for motion moving across the cameras field of view.

JamesC

cgallatin
Star
Star

same issue. makes them useless

DRA_PA
Apprentice
Apprentice
Same issue. I backed my car out of the garage and it recognized the motion without issue. When I came back an hour later and pulled the car into the garage it didn’t trigger a motion alert. This camera is just outside the window where the base is located. So shouldn’t be having any issues with range.
chrisngrod
Apprentice
Apprentice
Only my ring cameras were able to pick up motion in our cul de sac. Huge plows moving around.

Normally the Pro 2 would pick it up also. There's a private drive behind our house that usually gets picked up too. Not with the Ultras so far.

I'm sure this can be fixed but if I have to use the Rings as a trigger I guess I will. Oops. Forgot that they're not supported by Stringify yet..

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 13 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation