Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
spectrum1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi there,

I have just bought a Ultra 2 camera system, which I haven't installed yet. since purchasing, I have read a lot on this forum about the delay, missing the first few seconds or more of recording as the camera wakes up.  This is terrible news and I was wondering if the problem has been improved? I really can't afford to lose a few seconds between detection. If I keep the system, what delay could I expect now with the latest updates?

I originally started with a Neos smartcam which I point of of my rear window. the motion detection instantly records and the camera is only £25! I was so impressed with this little thing, I went out and bought the Arlo Ultra. I really didn't expect this problem with the motion detection /start record time when I invested in this top of the range system with good online reviews. 

An update on this problem and opinions If I should keep it would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The difference between systems may well be 1) the configuration in both hardware and software for motion detection and 2) cloud-based vs. local. Arlo is cloud-based so the camera has to wake up (it's battery-powered), start the communication with the hub and, thus, with the servers and finally be able to start recording. Plugging the camera into AC power provides a 3 second look-back which shows what happened before the triggering event. Also, camera positioning to maximize detection as well as the motion sensitivity in your modes and rules can make a lot of difference.

spectrum1
Aspirant
Aspirant
Great thanks for the reply!
I think I’ll give it a try and see what results I get. Otherwise I will connect them to AC for the 3 second look back. Are there any other benefits from running AC other than the look back? Do they preform better at motion detection or anything else? Thank you!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No better performance being on AC power, just availability of other options.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation