Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
DesertCasa
Guide
Guide

I have two Ultra 2 cameras with local base. During the free/trial monitoring period I could stream local live 4K to my base unit  The day I signed up for a two camera plan with Arlo, the 4K live streaming option was disabled. I no longer have a 4K streaming option, only 2K.  As a result, I’ve cancelled the two camera plan and will investigate selling my Arlo equipment and find cameras from a company that doesn’t rip you off after you purchase their equipment. To disable the 4K function of cameras I already bought is ridiculous. 

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DesertCasa wrote:

The day I signed up for a two camera plan with Arlo, the 4K live streaming option was disabled. I no longer have a 4K streaming option, only 2K.  

What plan did you purchase???

Unfortunately the single-camera plans are for Arlo Secure (2K), not Arlo Secure Plus (4K).

DesertCasa
Guide
Guide

I had the single camera plan (with two Ultra 2 XL cameras) and was aware that cloud recordings would only be 2K.   Had no idea Arlo would disable the 4K local streaming/recording capability to my base unit. Seems at every turn Arlo changes the cameras’ capabilities, even though I own the cameras and paid $300 per camera for 4K video. Now they are bacially saying if I want 4K local recording/with monitoring I have to pay them $15/month for the Plus plan.  Simply too much control of a product I own. They really should tell prospective buyers about all these limitations before they buy.  It feels more like I’m renting the cameras after an up front charge of $600.  Thanks for your feed back, but I’ll be looking to replace them with cameras from a less controlling manufacture. 

DesertCasa
Guide
Guide

Like magic 4K live streaming to my base unit is back. My two camera monitoring plan ended on April 30th, 4K live streaming was back and available May 1st.  Looking into setting up port forwarding before making the decision to replace my Arlo Ultra 2 cameras with yet to be determined cameras.  They will likly not be 4K cameras but at least it will be my decision.  What a shame, Arlo has some of the best cameras, yet maybe some of worst customer relations.  Had I known they would disable the 4K on my Ultra 2 cameras I could have bought their Pro 3/4 cameras and save money.  Glad I only purchased two.  

bgreig
Star
Star

Sounds like false advertisement!  Mine no longer streams or records in 4k!  How the hell can they get away with a bait and switch!  I will be selling my whole arlo system and replacing with a company who doesn't try to screw its customers!

bgreig
Star
Star

It's been confirmed that you can only get 4k streaming and recording is if you pay for the Plus plan!  This is extortion!  Great cameras, terrible business ethics!  I too will be selling my cameras and replacing them with something else.  I will also never recommend Arlo products ever again!  I get better performance from a $40 eufy camera and apple homekit!

Shadowy
Star
Star

Yeah, it's a real shame that you that you need to pay for 4K plan to do 4K Live Streaming or Recording. I was told the camera (hardware) can't do a cloud 2K stream and 4K stream at the same time. Which stinks.  So, if you don't care of about cloud 4K. 

But, worse part is that if you have mixture of cameras (2K and 4K), you still have to pay for 4K for local 4K streaming. Even though some of your cameras can't do 4K. Unless they change this. Pretty sure that is what I dealt with with my Ultras and Flood and Arlo 4 I have. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation