Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Live stream/Play button fails - Won't connect

Discussion stats
Dukenewcomb21
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have 4 Alro Ultras and 4 Arlo pros.  All cameras are recording as they should but when I hit  "play" to see a live view of the Arlo ultra cameras, it says connecting for a split second and immediately stops.  The "play" logo pops back up and I am not able to see a live view for the Ultra's.  They are recording correctly but it is impossible to get a live view.

The Arlo pro's connect without issue, also recording fine.

All software is up to date

I have ensured all cameras are "active" under my plan

I have rebooted the base stations

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app

All with no luck

Does anyone have ANY idea how I can live view these again?

I tried on the website under multiple browsers and it just times out.  I really want to be able to do live view on my phone however.

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hi @Socom2Fiend

We are here monitoring all the feedback. We are waiting for updates from the Development team at the moment.

This issue has been identified and a fix is coming soon. 

Thank you

121 REPLIES 121
ScottCan
Star
Star

Mine is working now.  Thanks for the quick response.

matchavez
Aspirant
Aspirant

This has returned full 4k streaming without the bug.

I really hope Arlo's QA team learns from this huge mistake.

ZorkroZ
Guide
Guide

1st issue:

Live streaming is not in 2K but the recorded clips are.

2nd issue: When I click on the play button for my arlo pro 3 Floodlight camera it says connecting for a millisecond and then times out. The only fix is to completely close the app and log back in. Then it works once and every time I click it a second time, it does the same time out issue. Very frustrating. Any ideas? Currently have the latest firmware too.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ZorkroZ wrote:

Live streaming is not in 2K but the recorded clips are.

1. Have you confirmed that 2K livestreaming is enabled in the app?
  2. Is the phone connected to your local wifi when it fails to stream in 2K?

Note that my.arlo.com will always stream in 1080p.  Auto Zoom & Tracking will also result in 1080p streaming.

@ZorkroZ wrote:

When I click on the play button for my arlo pro 3 Floodlight camera it says connecting for a millisecond and then times out. The only fix is to completely close the app and log back in. 

1. Are you usig Android or iOS?  What version?
  2. Does this also happen if 2K livestreaming is turned off for the camera?
ZorkroZ
Guide
Guide

Yes to both questions. 

ZorkroZ
Guide
Guide

I’m on IOS 16.0.2.

same issue even when 2k turned off.

ZorkroZ
Guide
Guide

Sorry I read too fast and didn’t realize you were also addressing the time out question. When I turn off the 2K streaming it does seem to fix that time out issue issue. Very odd.

markp74
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @ShayneS ,

I also have this problem with my Arlo Ultra 2 4k camera running all the latest firmware updates on hub and camera. Looking at the firmware release, it looks like the latest firmware (Arlo Ultra VMC5040 - 1.070.52.1_35_1bdb65f) for the camera was 21 Sep 2021 (more than a year ago) and the details are quite pathetic "Bug Fixes" - not sure that helps anyone.

Is there any further updates that are coming soon to fix this issue. Finding Arlo products to be quite problematic and tech/devs seems to be endlessly fixing and creating bugs at what seems to be at a snail's pace - really frustrating and paying the price we do, (especially a monthly subscription for such a basic service - i.e. having a 6th camera) the expectation is high - and not being met.

Having said all that, I do recognise you are only the messenger and thank you for your persistence in replying and keeping users up to date in this post.

SSargeant
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem with one of my two identical Arlo Ultra cameras. Interestingly, I can live stream when I log on through my desktop computer but not when using the iPhone App. I have swapped the camera locations so I can confirm it is a problem with only one of my two cameras and only with the App. 

Lfang
Aspirant
Aspirant

In my case, the SmartHub and BaseStation had to be reset also and the cameras re-added, that finally restored the live 2k/4k streaming over wi-fi for me.

Mrcameraperson
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, is the fix still coming soon? Having the same issue and have tried all of the suggestions on this thread to no avail. 

For me, it works fine if I turn off local 2k streaming but that’s why I bought these cameras - to stream in 2K. 

ogr3
Guide
Guide

Hi,

VMB400r3 base station and two arlo pro 3 cameras. The older cameras work fine but the arlo pro 3 will not show live feed when I'm on the same wifi as the base station (on 4G it works)

Read that a FW upgrade to the base station should fix it but I have the latest FW.

Regards

Fredrik

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Is this with local 2k live streaming enabled?

ogr3
Guide
Guide

Yes local 2k streaming is turned on.

However today I discovered that if I press and hold the play button half a second or so sometimes the connecting.. starts and the stream starts.

So it might be some GUI fault in the iOS app - a quick tap triggers connecting... for a brief moment and no stream is started. long press works sometimes. 

iPhone 14 pro with latest iOS

It works fine on my Pixel 6 pro

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Which version of the Arlo app are you using? 

ogr3
Guide
Guide

4.0.1 on iOS

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ogr3 wrote:

Yes local 2k streaming is turned on.

Might be worth seeing if it does the same thing with 2K streaming turned off. 

ogr3
Guide
Guide

With 2k turned off it works like expected, but if I turn it on it works if I long press the play button.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Is anyone still experiencing this issue?

Thanks 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Is anyone still experiencing this issue? 

MasoBall
Star
Star

I am currently experiencing this issue on the my.arlo.com web portal with my Arlo Go 2s.

The live stream works perfectly on my android device, but the live stream constantly struggles to play smoothly on any pc or browser.  I also tried connecting to my phone's hotspot since they connect so well to my phone, but that also did not change the behavior of the cameras on the Arlo web portal.  I am constantly met with a please wait on each camera, the "...." that appears while it buffers, or a request timed out error.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@MasoBall 

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to the Profile icon > Support Center > Select device > contact