Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
betel7girl
Follower
Follower

What is the live 4K streaming feature used for and why would I not want this on all the time?  Can I stream it to my TV?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

betel7girl,

With Arlo Ultra you can view live streams in 4k locally using the mobile app. Live streaming allows you to view your cameras from your home computer or mobile smart device. You can view a live stream from any device that supports the Arlo mobile app or has access to the Arlo web client.

JamesC

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

betel7girl,

With Arlo Ultra you can view live streams in 4k locally using the mobile app. Live streaming allows you to view your cameras from your home computer or mobile smart device. You can view a live stream from any device that supports the Arlo mobile app or has access to the Arlo web client.

JamesC

joema4
Guide
Guide

To clarify, you cannot live stream 4K to a PC or Mac using the web app.  You also can't make a manual 4k recording from the web app; only 1080p.  On a late-generation phone or tablet with sufficiently good WiFi (and I assume hardware HEVC/H265 support) you can stream 4K, but the screen is too small to see the difference.

If you configure the smart hub for 4k and insert a micro-SD card, then for motion or sound-triggered events, those will be recorded in 4k on the card. The only way to view those is eject the card, insert in a PC and view them.

After downloading from the micro-SD card to the PC, if there is any doubt whether they are 4k, in Windows you can right-click and view properties. On a Mac you can right-click or CMD+click and "Get Info". 

toiumbagd
Aspirant
Aspirant

James, 4K over local network is not working on iPad with the Arlo app. It does work on iPhone. Also the web app, can’t stream anything live any longer and requires download of clips from cloud as it can’t play 4K clips In browser. Are there plans to refresh the web app to function with all the new ultra functionality?

st_shaw
Master Master
Master

@toiumbagd wrote:

James, 4K over local network is not working on iPad with the Arlo app. It does work on iPhone. Also the web app, can’t stream anything live any longer and requires download of clips from cloud as it can’t play 4K clips In browser. Are there plans to refresh the web app to function with all the new ultra functionality?

Do you have an 10.5 inch iPad Pro or a 12.9 inch iPad Pro?  Those are the only two iPads that support HEVC as required for streaming 4K.

The web app has been working fine live streaming for me on Mac/Safari and Windows/Edge.

toiumbagd
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the latest iPad Pro 11”

https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/

I cant get live stream to work in the browser since the latest firmware release. There are also missing features such as toggling 4K live stream on LAN, via the web app. 

toiumbagd
Aspirant
Aspirant

P.s. the iPad does play 4K clips from the library. 

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation