Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Issues Connecting with Garage Door Cam

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
StriderDB
Follower
Follower

Hello,

I bought the Arlo Ultra 4 Camera Package VMC5440. It came with the Ultra Base VMB5000.

My base is in the back of my house, connected directly (via ethernet cable) to my Bell Modem/Router

The Camera overlooking the front of my house is having connectivity issues, because the signal is week.

I cannot move the Modem/Router anywhere else, because the bell phone line was only installed in the room the modem/router is currently in.

What are my options?

Would I be able to get a cheap wifi extender and another Arlo Smart Hub and put it near the garage?

Is there any better alternatives?

Can the Arlo Ultra connect to the cheaper base station or does it have to be a smart hub?

Thanks you in advance for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Ethernet cable can be to 100m, so you may be able to centrally locate the base to cover all the cameras....

Or the same with a good wifi extender ( with port ).

Also if interested you can add another base and sync the closest cameras to each base.

The Ultra cameras will only connect to the Ultra Hub at this time... maybe in future but I wouldn't hold my breath due to increase bandwidth/data thru put of the newer cameras

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

An alternative to running long Ethernet cables between router and hub is Powerline Ethernet.

This uses you mains circuit as an Ethernet network. Not perfect, but fast enough for Arlo hubs, and probably better than introducing a wifi link in the chain.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation