Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
daalliso
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is is possible to see the live video "locally" instead of viewing from cloud.  My DSL internet connection is horrible at best and I would like to keep any eye on my property just using the local network at my house.  My in-house network can easliy handle the 4K streams....my internet connection not so much.  Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I haven't tried it but if you've enabled local 4k streaming in the camera settings, I would think this would work but only for the app. I'm not sure if the cloud is somehow involved so you will need to test.

daalliso
Aspirant
Aspirant

That seems to work for the app.  There should be a way to login to the SmartHub and watch the 4K streams on the local network via a local connection to the SmartHub, either browser or Mac/Windows app, and not limited to only seeing 4K on the mobile app.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

daalliso,

This feature is not available on the web client. 4K local live streaming is only available when using the mobile app.

JamesC

daalliso
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks James!  

How do we request this viewing option be added to the development roadmap?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Right now it's a browser issue. The switch from Flash to HTML5 may help (I have no idea what the potential issues are) but right now there's very few browsers that allow viewing of these 2k/4k videos.

daalliso
Aspirant
Aspirant

What about using something like VLC to watch the streams?  Point VLC to the SmartHub and pick the device streams that you want to see.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@daalliso wrote:

What about using something like VLC to watch the streams?  Point VLC to the SmartHub and pick the device streams that you want to see.

There are security implications in streaming to a third party application.  So I don't think they will do that.

daalliso
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hmmm.  It's my video, streaming across my LAN, in my house, to my PC.  Not sure what security implications would be raised.

Arlo could also develop their own Mac/Windows program to run locally on your PC, something like VLC, and not rely on whims of browser technology.

And why only two 4K streams and the inability to do multiple simultaneous logins?  I am finding more and more limitations.... 😞

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@daalliso wrote:

Hmmm.  It's my video, streaming across my LAN, in my house, to my PC.  Not sure what security implications would be raised.

Someone clever might be able to capture the stream you are watching that way.  In the specific case of VLC, I think Arlo would need to modify it, since AFAIK VLC doesn't support either encryption or authentication.  So it ends up being their own player. 

FWIW, Arlo's not just deployed on home networks.  It is also on business networks.  I've seen some posts (though not many) from people using it in a condo or apartment where the same internet connection is shared by everyone in the building.

daalliso
Aspirant
Aspirant

Stephen, I think you are missing my "requirement"... 🙂

I should be able to watch 4K streams from all of my Arlo Ultra cameras on my property simultaneously.  I should be able to login to the so-called "smart" hub, sans any connection to the Internet, and watch the streams.  In my scenario, there would be no chance of anyone snooping on my streams as it would never leave the LAN in my house.  I could even setup its own VLAN to completely segment the streams to their own network.

In the grand scheme of technology, which I have been a part of since the Novell days, this is not rocket science.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@daalliso wrote:

Stephen, I think you are missing my "requirement"... 🙂

FWIW, I do understand and support the overall idea.  In addition, many folks have bandwidth caps on their internet service, and doing more with local storage/viewing helps them also.

As already noted, the ability to view locally is already there in the apps, so it would work today with an Android or iOS tablet. 

Adding it to the web client is a problem because the main browser vendors (e.g., Google and Mozilla) have chosen not to implement HEVC video support - which is not something under Arlo's control.  At the moment 2K and 4K playback  works with Microsoft Edge and that I don't expect that to change anytime soon.   That already is a problem, and it will only get worse as 2K and 4K cameras start to dominate.

But when you stretched to proposing VLC you added in a generic capability that IMO expands the security attack surface of the overall system.  While you could certainly secure it properly, other users wouldn't have the skills.  If Arlo were to deliver the capability you want for everyone in a PC,  they'd end up creating their own player - and IMO they'd be better off delivering that as a Windows/MacOS App - which they certainly could secure.

Arloultra
Luminary
Luminary

Not a live stream anyway! Hence the long delay for the server to render and broadcast back to app!!

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation