Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Is Arlo Ultra 4k the right system for me? - Some questions about the Arlo

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ekantnemo
Follower
Follower

Hi

Lately i have noticed some weird footprints in the snow in my backyard, i have also seen dog poop laying around on my property (and i don't have a dog...)

Drama aside, i have decided that i need a camera surveillance. I consider buying a 4-pack of the Arlo 4K Ultra, but first i have some questions. The cameras will be installed outdoors overlooking my backyard and driveway.

1. Do i really need the outdoor charging cable? I have seen some youtubers talking about that in order to access all the features like activity zones and 3-second lookback. What exactly are those features, and do i really need them?

2. According to Arlo. The package contains 1 magnetic charging cable. How long is this cable and can it be used outdoors? Or do i need to buy special cables?

3. How much of a hassle is it to operate and run the Arlo system? Does it require a lot of maintenance, paperwork, software updates etc.?

4. Does the Arlo require a subscription, if so how much does it cost?

5. Should i buy any other accessories in order to gain full advantage of the Arlo system?

Thanks a lot.

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing to keep in mind is that the motion detection uses passive infrared (PIR) sensors. These have limited range - about 25 feet for people. It would be less for a dog or coyote.

Also, you could consider the Pro 5s as an alternative. One advantage is that it can connect directly to your home wifi, so it doesn't require a base.

@ekantnemo wrote:

Do i really need the outdoor charging cable? I have seen some youtubers talking about that in order to access all the features like activity zones and 3-second lookback. What exactly are those features, and do i really need them?

Activity zones require a subscription with the Ultra (and work w/o AC power). Lookback (foresight) does require AC power.

@ekantnemo wrote:

Does the Arlo require a subscription, if so how much does it cost?

https://kb.arlo.com/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-much-cloud-recording-i...

It is possible to use direct access to local storage with a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000). But there are a lot of limitations.

@ekantnemo wrote:

According to Arlo. The package contains 1 magnetic charging cable. How long is this cable and can it be used outdoors? Or do i need to buy special cables?

I don't recall the exact length, but it's not that long (6 feet plus or minus). The cable and indoor charger isn't outdoor rated. You could get away with it if the camera is protected from the weather (in an unheated garage, etc) - and you can also connect it for a few hours if the weather is good to charge the camera.

@ekantnemo wrote:

Should i buy any other accessories in order to gain full advantage of the Arlo system?

You could of course get them later if you find you need them.

1. The XL battery+housing upgrade is beneficial if the cameras are hard to reach (and not AC powered).
  2. The battery charger and a spare battery or two is another possibility - letting you swap batteries instead of charging in place.
  3. Solar panels can extend the time between charges, but likely won't eliminate charging altogether.

@ekantnemo wrote:

How much of a hassle is it to operate and run the Arlo system? Does it require a lot of maintenance, paperwork, software updates etc.?

Software updates are pushed automatically and are pretty frequent.

There are some bugs that crop up from time to time, so you'd need to be prepared for that.

Geofencing is one feature that doesn't seem to work that reliably.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

In relation to point 3, please read reviews on Google Play store and posts on here. This should give you an idea of whether you want to commit yourself to this system or look at something else.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation