Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Honest Opinions Wanted

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
oh_posterity
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi all,

We are in the market for a security camera that can record non-stop, 24/7. I know that would require a special “CVR” subscription with Arlo, but that’s fine. Our question is this: what would the battery life be like on the Arlo Ultra Wire-Free camera if it’s recording 24/7 using the “Continuous Video Recording” service? The website says 3-6 months is average battery life for normal use, but continuous recording doesn’t seem to be considered normal. Any insight?

And we can’t buy the wired version due to the set-up of our house. So we’d either need to be confident that the Ultra battery can handle continuous recording, or look elsewhere.
8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Basically , if you don't have ac power to the cameras, you can't record 24/7.

Battery life for real world at spec ( less than 5 mins per day ) is about 2 to 3 months.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
oh_posterity
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you for replying, that’s disappointing to hear but really good to know. Do you think continuous recording would be possible/realistic if I got the solar panels? Would that be enough to keep the cameras charged? There are no trees nearby, we have direct sun most of the day.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@oh_posterity wrote:
. Do you think continuous recording would be possible/realistic if I got the solar panels? Would that be enough to keep the cameras charged? There are no trees nearby, we have direct sun most of the day.

Solar panels are not AC power so you would need AC for CVR. I have a solar it it does keep up unless it is several cloudy day for normal use. 

alrock
Guide
Guide

The main issue with Arlo (all models) is that they have an issue where they just stop recording at night 6pm-8am. You can find that man customers have this issue and Arlo support cannot fix it. This has been happening since 2019.

So I would recommend getting a different brand.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's a pretty broad claim that's patently false. Yes, there are reports of this happening but it's hardly widespread and the cause isn't always known. While it could be somehow an Arlo problem, it's also possible that it's a user and/or environmental issue. If it happened to everyone there would be a much larger outcry.

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

My camera records fine overnight and before a sad accident my arlo Go did too. I don't think you can make this claim because I know quite a few people that use  them at night with no issue whatsoever. Positioning and bad Wi-Fi at night (lots of interference in the small hours with streetlights etc and REIN interference form other sources, may well be more the issue, but I couldn't say that's the cause I wouldn't presume to  make a blanket statement. I just know mine work very well at night and I'm very happy.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The main issue with Arlo (all models) is that they have an issue where they just stop recording at night 6pm-8am.

work fine at night..... false statement.

Just last night;

1624248289030.jpg

Morse is faster than texting!
dcfox1
Master
Master

@alrock wrote:

The main issue with Arlo (all models) is that they have an issue where they just stop recording at night 6pm-8am. You can find that man customers have this issue and Arlo support cannot fix it. This has been happening since 2019.

So I would recommend getting a different brand.

I have Pro3 and get recordings overnight. So not all models and not widespread.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation