Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Homekit and VLAN

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
lowriskC
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have my IoT device (Arlo included) in VLAN 20.

both my AppleTV are not part of any VLAN

when I try to setup HomeKit , I can't go pass the Discovering your device, I assume the only way would be to have AppleTV and Arlo on the same VLAN which would be very annoying for me?

any work around ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lowriskC wrote:

when I try to setup HomeKit , I can't go pass the Discovering your device, I assume the only way would be to have AppleTV and Arlo on the same VLAN which would be very annoying for me?

I'm not a homekit user, but from what I've read this is a limitation of homekit itself.

https://medium.com/@gepeto42/using-homekit-devices-across-vlans-and-subnets-aa5ae1024939 wrote:

HomeKit uses the HAP protocol, which actually uses peer-to-peer connectivity for really fast action when you try to perform actions. If your device is unable to reach the HomeKit device, it will, through iCloud, try to perform the HomeKit action through your AppleTV.

If your AppleTV is unable to reach the HomeKit device, the request will fail.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lowriskC wrote:

I'm not a homekit user, but from what I've read this is a limitation of homekit itself.

https://medium.com/@gepeto42/using-homekit-devices-across-vlans-and-subnets-aa5ae1024939 wrote:

HomeKit uses the HAP protocol, which actually uses peer-to-peer connectivity for really fast action when you try to perform actions. If your device is unable to reach the HomeKit device, it will, through iCloud, try to perform the HomeKit action through your AppleTV.

If your AppleTV is unable to reach the HomeKit device, the request will fail.

lowriskC
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, I'll try this, so far only enable mDNS repeater but didn't solved anything, probably need to check my firewall alright.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation