Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Home Away / Inside Outside

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
winglessworrier
Tutor
Tutor

I have set up a schedule for the night hours that I want the outside camera to be active. However, the schedule  doesn't allow me to select the outside camera or any other cameras. Therefore, I assume the inside and outside cameras will be active during the nightly schedule. Of course outside the schedule I want the outside camera to come under the control of the mobile phone Home Away function.

Can someone give me detailed instructions on how fix the above?

With thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@winglessworrier wrote:

Am I getting close to understanding the process?????

You are missing something rather important.  Geofencing isn't hardwired to armed/disarmed.  Geofencing allows you to select "schedule"  as the mode when you are at home.  That applies the schedule you've set up when you are home.  Selecting "Schedule" as the home mode, and "Armed" as the away mode in geofencing will therefore do what you want.

One reason this is confusing is because Arlo describes "home", "away", and "schedule" as modes.  While they all change modes (based on location or time) they really aren't modes themselves.

FWIW, geofencing also lets you set "schedule" as the mode when you are away - but that won't accomplish your purpose.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First you need to create CUSTOM modes, which split up the cameras into groups.

https://kb.arlo.com/1019331/How-do-I-create-a-mode-with-different-rules-for-each-Arlo-Wire-Free-or-A...

Exp; you have 3 cams, you can create, All ( you have now as armed ), AB,AC,BC,A,B,C

Then in the schedule, you use the needed Modes/ groups of cameras

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
winglessworrier
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the response.

Please advise if I’ve got the right idea?

Group-1: outside camera- detect motion/record.

Group-2: inside cameras- detect motion do nothing.

Geofencing: Away-armed/Home-disarmed.

Schedule: Monday  to Sunday 10pm to 6am.

Therefore, during the night schedule Group1is active and Group2 is inactive.

So, I can move around  inside the house without activating inside cameras.

FINALLY 

At home as I write:-

Mobile phone - Arlo app -mode-smarthub- disarmed (Geofencing is selected)
When I leave home (with mobile) the Geofencing mode takes control and all cameras (inside and out) and arms them.

Please advise if I’ve got the correct storey?
With thanks

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

the only possible conflict is Geozone and Schedule...

If Geo home is disarmed, it may override the schedule... check that out.

( may have to change geo HOME mode to using schedule )

But otherwise yr good

Morse is faster than texting!
winglessworrier
Tutor
Tutor

The above setup didn’t work. It appears the Geofencing has overridden the night mode.

have now grouped all cameras into one group with outside camera recording when motion detected, and the inside cameras not recording when motion detected.

it appears that each night I will have to engage the night mode/group then in the morning re-engage the the Geofencing mode.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@winglessworrier wrote:

Geofencing: Away-armed/Home-disarmed.

Generally you'd want geofencing to be set to Away-armed/Home-Schedule.

Then make sure the schedule is set up to enable Group 1 + Group 2 during the day (Armed Mode will do this), and enable only group 1 at night (a new custom mode is needed for this.

winglessworrier
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your response.

I'm still a little confused!!

Is it fair to say:-

1) Irrespective of what the schedule is programmed to do in group 1 and group 2, be it armed or disarmed, the Geofence mode - when set to Away/Armed and Home/Disarmed - will override the schedule for both groups.

2) For example (ridiculous setting) both groups scheduled to be OFF 24/7, the Geofencing mode - when not home - activate all cameras (in both groups) and override the schedule. When home the Geofencing  mode would be deactivate and allow the schedule to control both groups (all cameras) Therefore, re the silly simplistic schedule, the cameras would not operate as they are scheduled OFF 24/7. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@winglessworrier wrote:

You are missing something rather important.  Geofencing isn't hardwired to armed/disarmed.  Geofencing allows you to select "schedule"  as the mode when you are at home.  That applies the schedule you've set up when you are home.  Selecting "Schedule" as the home mode, and "Armed" as the away mode in geofencing will therefore do what you want.

One reason this is confusing is because Arlo describes "home", "away", and "schedule" as modes.  While they all change modes (based on location or time) they really aren't modes themselves.

FWIW, geofencing also lets you set "schedule" as the mode when you are away - but that won't accomplish your purpose.

winglessworrier
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks very much I now understand the process. Yes some of the terminology is very misleading.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation