Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
duncan-100
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi I'm think of buying this system for our sports club, to capture 4K video  of our members. One main question, does the video run for a long time ? For example can I capture 1 hours worth at one time ?

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not without using AC power to the camera and subscribing to CVR (continuous video recording). You'd need an Elite subscription in the first place to get 4k videos but CVR knocks that down to 1080p so you would need to make a choice. Normal motion detected videos, 4k or otherwise, are limited to 2 minutes if using a timed recording or up to 5 minutes if using "record until motion stops". However the latter setting requires that motion be detected by the camera so the recording is frequently much shorter. Both settings will record again when motion is detectable.

duncan-100
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Guru, No problem with supplying the power, buying CVR or recording at 1080, if doing this and disabled motion detection would we be able to run the cameras for an uninterrupted extending period of time, say 2 hours ? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes but only via CVR. You can't start live view, for instance, and have it run that long. CVR will record the whole time for you to review at any point according to the subscription you purchase (14 vs 30 days). Note that you can't download this video, just play it back. If local recordings are needed, you'd have to use screen capture software while viewing the CVR video.

sarxws
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had 4 cameras for about 8 months now and regret it. I hope you don't buy this system. You cannot download the CVR even though the price is charged per camera and gets expensive. So, you will pay a yearly fee, then a fee on top of each camera you want to have CVR for. You can't download the video so they tell you to use screen capture software. This degrades the quality of the video of course. So, why have 4K cameras if you can't download the 4K stream? Local recordings is an option but what good is that if someone breaks in and takes the Arlo base that has the local recordings on it???

I got two Google's Nest cameras and they charge one yearly fee and CVR is included. You can also download clips (up to 3 hours) of time from the CVR. I like the design of the Arlo cameras but they are neglecting the user experience side of it.

Another pain is anytime you want to login to the cameras from a computer you have to enter a security code. You can't add a computer as a trusted device. This becomes a pain because the Arlo site likes to log you out frequently. So, if you are going to monitor the cameras on a computer then be ready to have to login and have to enter a code every time.

I'm really unhappy after paying $1,500 for the cameras and accessories for this system. Not to mention the yearly and monthly fees.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@sarxws wrote:

You can't download the video so they tell you to use screen capture software. This degrades the quality of the video of course. So, why have 4K cameras if you can't download the 4K stream? Local recordings is an option but what good is that if someone breaks in and takes the Arlo base that has the local recordings on it???

CVR doesn't use 4K in the first place - it's 1080p so screen captures don't degrade anything (as log as you're not capturing a tiny box). As for local recordings being stolen, I've not heard of a single case of this happening. It's more likely that cameras would be stolen. If you were that concerned about this sort of theft, cloud recordings covers it.

sarxws
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m just disappointed with it. I hate purchasing a product and getting surprised by irritatingly missing features I would expect and competitors offer. I didn’t buy 4K cameras so that I could only obtain 1080 via screen capture for CVR. I didn’t purchase CVR and expect no ability to download (which is absolutely ludicrous and the biggest offense).

I can’t believe people are defending Arlo’s position of screencapture as the solution. If you need 20 minutes of video then you have to tie up your computer for 20 minutes. This system and the subscriptions aren’t cheap either. It is more expensive than other competitors that offer download.

As far as the base getting stolen. Doesn’t matter that it hasn’t happened to our knowledge - it’s a flaw in the acquisition of recordings.
Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation