Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Does the VMB5000 have a UI accessible from a local PC?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
timmy2
Follower
Follower

Is the VMB5000 accessible on the same LAN using a browser?

This is a pre-sale question but Arlo Tech doesn't even provide that.  What a horribly unfriendly company. 

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@timmy2 wrote:

Is the VMB5000 accessible on the same LAN using a browser?

It can be accessed through the app, or by browsing to my.arlo.com after on-boarding.   You cannot access it by browsing to its local IP address.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hey timmy2

Can you provide a little more detail regarding your question, I'll do my best to assist you. Also, you can access your cameras via Arlo mobile app as well as the web portal at my.Arlo.com

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The base station doesn't have its UI accessible by the user. It's a closed system, so you'll not be able to change any settings related to its WiFi channel or encryption. 

You can access the basic (really basic) settings through the app, but these are: flicker adjustment, firmware update and time zone, as well as some settings associated with the SD card: 

SD Card Recording (on/off)
Best Local Recording (on/off)
Overwrite Automatically (on/off)
Safely eject SD card
Format SD card

There have been calls to have an expert mode where one could at least switch on/off the 2.4Ghz/5GHz WiFi and be able to change channels, but these have largely been ignored. It's still unclear to me why because when you buy a simple router, you can at least change these to help you manage your devices in your specific environment. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Edinburgh_lad1 wrote:

You can access the basic (really basic) settings through the app ...

In addition you can restart it, see the firmware version and serial number, and see whether it is online or offline.  So there are a couple more things than on the list above.

But as @Edinburgh_lad1 says, Arlo doesn't give you control over the wifi settings.

Edinburgh_lad1
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Yeah, you can see the firmware version, restart the base station, and even find out whether it's online or offline.
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation