Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 In Conversation
Josueacosta302
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does anyone know how to link up the Arlo Ultra to Apple home app

17 REPLIES 17
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Josueacosta30,

Follow the instructions in this knowledge base article to link your Ultra system to HomeKit:

How do I connect my Arlo camera to Apple HomeKit?

JamesC

robpickering
Tutor
Tutor

I've attempted the instructions at that KB.  When I go to Settings > Devices > and then select my Hub, there is no "HomeKit" choice.  I have an Arlo Ultra, a x5000 base station, and running firmware 1.14.0.10.

Josueacosta302
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yeah same here I’ve also attempted with no luck
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The development team is currently investigating this issue. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For those experiencing this issue. Do you have the latest version of the iOS Arlo mobile app downloaded and installed from the app store?

The latest version can be found here: Arlo Mobile App

JamesC

robpickering
Tutor
Tutor

Yes.

I got my cameras last night, set up my hub, upgraded the firmware in my hub (Model VMB5000r5, running 1.14.0.10), and downloaded the Arlo app from the iOS App Store (version 2.10), the hub had firmware upgrades for both of my cameras (Ultras) and I did that as well (firmware 1.070.41).

-Rob

bnewcome
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had the same problem and found a previous thread that fixed it. Summary below:

1) Update the firmware on your base staton. Once it’s all done, you may not have the HomeKit selection to click on in the app.
2) Remove the base station from the app.
3) Add the base station again.
4) All fixed.

To be clear this means that someone should look into the root cause but this should get y’all up and running. Let me know if it doesn’t work!
robpickering
Tutor
Tutor

I performed these steps.

As soon as I removed the existing Hub, I was prompted to grant the Arlo app access to my HomeKit information.

Unfortunately, this step also wipes all of your configurations and cameras.  

Since the cameras were previously paired with the "old" base station, you'll have to manually pair them.

This proved to most likely be more trouble than it was worth.  I now have two dead cameras until I can get a ladder out to manually sync the cameras back to the base station.

-Rob

robpickering
Tutor
Tutor

FWIW, after re-synching the cameras manually to the hub, after re-adding it, the HomeKit option showed up and the cameras do appear in my Home app.  They do NOT support the HomeKit secure recording, but otherwise work fine.

bnewcome
Aspirant
Aspirant

As a follow up note, I saw a comment from Arlo stating that they do not have any plans to include HomeKit Secure Video at any point in the future.  The Director of Product stated in this link on October 22:

Yes, Arlo Ultra is the next product to be certified for HomeKit. Our goal is to have that completed by Q4 of this year. Arlo does not currently plan to support Apple HomeKit Secure Video, but we will support a range of other features that will enable Arlo cameras to participate in the HomeKit ecosystem

It makes sense from a business perspective, but it's also a little upsetting if someone wanted to do both.  Just an FYI.

Retired_Member
Not applicable
Case Description
I have an Arlo Ultra 4K system (VMB5000r4) with 3 x Ultra 4K cameras (VMC5040). I am unable to add the smart hub to HomeKit. When I go into settings and select “HomeKit Setup” a window appears with the message “Discovering your Device, Please wait”. The screen stays like this and doesn’t update. I have reset the whole system to factory settings and tried again; as well as completely reset up HomeKit from scratch but the same results occur. (My system didn’t come with a HomeKit accessory code). My hub has the latest firmware installed, and the cameras do also.
Bwelker
Aspirant
Aspirant
So Arlo doesn’t have 100% code coverage on tests I guess.
Retired_Member
Not applicable
With the new update 2.11 for the Arlo app release a day ago and all the correct firmware updates, the Arlo app will still not recognised Apple HomeKit. Arlo what is going on?
GaryAllen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 2 base stations and only one will connect to home kit, the experience when connected was pretty bad that I have not even looked since... corrupt or no video.... 

robpickering
Tutor
Tutor

It appears that the HomeKit compatibility is only for the latest firmware AND for base stations that have not previously had any cameras set up on them...

If you've got an existing base station, you need to detach all of your devices from the base station (which will cause them to reset and have to be completely set up as new).  Once you've detached all cameras, reboot your base station, upon first entering into the app for that base station, it'll prompt you to grant access to your "Home" (HomeKit).  Then set up your cameras and everything will "work".

digitaldias
Guide
Guide

Same result here, installed the Arlo, got no homekit button in hub settings, so I removed the device from the app, and re-added it (and the cameras). Now I have HomeKit enabled, however I get an error message stating "the configration code is wrong" (translated from Norwegian)

Not the best first-time experience

John__F
Aspirant
Aspirant

still no luck connecting to homekit. NZ based model VMB5000r4  base station + 3 ultra cams 

have tried countless resets, restarts and updates of all hardware iPhone, Apple TV, ultra base station, cameras. Still hangs on "discovering devices" screen when selecting homekit setup in arlo app. made contact with arlo support several weeks ago and sent logs from iPhone but haven't heard anything back..

anyone had any luck connecting as of December? 

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 In Conversation