Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mj_newbie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I just want to understand the setup - do the Arlo cameras connect to the Base Stations and not directly to the home wi-fi routers? Does the base station connect to the router using the LAN cable? 

I have a wi-fi mesh system at home and my main router is in the basement. I have an excellent wi-fi signal anywhere even outside the house, but I worry that if the base station is in the basement the signal may not reach the cameras very well. How good is the antenna of the VMB5000 ?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Arlo bases connect to your home router via ethernet cable.... The Arlo base then sets up it's own wifi network for the cameras only.

You mesh network will not help unless you use it with multi bases ( access points )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
mj_newbie
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.

Do the bases have good wireless signals? I am concerned that the signal from the basement (where I plan to put the base) will reach the cameras - about 50 meters or so in distance, but the signal has to go through the ground/walls.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The 5000 base can run both 2.4/5 ghz... 

when my base was to close to the main router it would lock into 5 ghz and range was less... move it about ten ft and it was much better.

Tho I will say that the 5000 base ( ultra cam ) does appear to have less range compared to the 4000 (2.4 ghz only)... could be it dropping  to 5ghz which does have less range.

150 ft is going to be possibly an issue especially with walls/ floor in the way. There is so much that can effect the distance. ( I do run a 4000 base to a Pro2 cam  over 150 ft away , 2 bars and it works perfectly)

Only way to really know is try it.

lf need be and you have more than one access point( Ethernet), you can run more than one base ( no fee for bases )

Morse is faster than texting!
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation