Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
jackvUK
Tutor
Tutor

Arlo, PLEASE stop trying to check for updates when adding a new camera. 

It takes over a minute when attempting to add a new device for the splash screen 'Checking for updates" to dissappear. This is so annoying/frustrating when trying to complete a simple task of adding an additional camera. 

13 REPLIES 13
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jackvUK,

I understand the frustration of waiting for the update check, but it's important to be sure that the camera is fully up to date with the latest firmware after being added to the system.

Thank you for the feedback, I will pass this along to the development team.

JamesC

Howardhorst2018
Tutor
Tutor

Is there a way to add multiple devices without the base station checking for updates every time?  I just added 10 cameras and it took over an hour.

Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Right now, no. An hour seems to be awfully long for even 10 cameras - the firmware check has always taken maybe a minute for me.

Howardhorst2018
Tutor
Tutor

I agree!  But yes, sometimes it took up to five minutes to check for an update and then once the camera was set up and named, it took anywhere from 30-60 seconds to finalize and initiate.

I'm no programmer; but it seems to me that it shouldn't be THAT difficult to have an "add multiple cameras" option where the base station checks for an update the first time, then it's just a matter of syncing the cameras. Once the last one has been synced/named, the user presses the "finish" button.

Maybe in a future update. 😉

GilChesterton
Initiate
Initiate

@Howardhorst2018 wrote:

I'm no programmer; but it seems to me that it shouldn't be THAT difficult to have an "add multiple cameras" option where the base station checks for an update the first time, then it's just a matter of syncing the cameras. Once the last one has been synced/named, the user presses the "finish" button.

Maybe in a future update. 😉

Or just a button at the end "Add another camera to this base station". I agree this is a huge pain to set up the first time.

DSMagic
Star
Star

@JamesC 

I cannot express how disturbing it is to read your response to this issue. I am a computer programmer and I can tell you with certainty that you do not need 5 minutes to check for updates and you do not need to check for updates every 5 minutes. I just set up my 4 camera Ultra system a few days ago and I was ready to commit some violent acts out of frustration. It is rediculous and it is way more rediculous for you to be so glib about out unnecessary pain and suffering. It took me several hours to configure everything becuase my chimes and doorbells wouldn't sync and once they did sync they would not recognize each other, I couldn't pair them, so I had to start over. Then once that worked I was unable to pair them with different cameras. And every time I had to do this I had to wait several minutes, not one minute but several minutes, for it to check for updates for each device. It was insane and completely unnecessary and if anyone from Arlo thinks it's remotely appropriate, or necessary then they should not be talking to customers. This has to be fixed. 

ebmebm
Tutor
Tutor

The issue is not checking the cameras for firmware updates.  The camera is checked/updated post-sync.

The issue is that when adding ANY device to a base, it checks the base firmware for updates.  This past weekend those checks were frequently timing-out after about 5 minutes.

BW23
Tutor
Tutor

Yes I totally agree, the firmware update check on the base station before every camera you add/sync needs to be removed.  I had to resync my four cameras and it was very frustrating.   

ebmebm
Tutor
Tutor

On a positive note, this weekend I synced 4 cameras at once using the web app as well as 4 at once using the Android app.

DSMagic
Star
Star

What do you mean "at once"? As in simultaneously? How did you manage that? You didn't have to wait for the update on each and every item you sync?

ebmebm
Tutor
Tutor

In both cases (web and Android), after checking for Base Station firmware updates, the next prompt indicated to insert a battery into the cameras.  I inserted batteries into four cameras.  The Base recognized all four and subsequently allowed me to name and position each.  I did this twice: once using the web app and once using the Android app.  The only difference is that the web app blinked the red/blue LED's while naming each, so I knew which camera was being named.

idontwantit
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, none of that worked for me...it takes hours to set up the cameras -- 10 with two base stations, then upgrade all the firmware on them....I pretty much hate Arlo right now...

ebmebm
Tutor
Tutor

Sorry to hear that.  What flavor of the app were you using (web, Android, iPhone)?  I have two Base Stations and 11 cameras.  I setup one Base using the web app and the other using Android.  The biggest pain for me was adding three doorbells and two chimes.  Each one had the Base check for firmware updates.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 15 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation